• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Macerlask

SDL Init problem

This topic is 4828 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I'm learning SDL and I made a library with some functions, one is SDL_Surface Initw(); The problem is that if I use the function when I execute the program, it just open and close the window, but if I cute'n page the code inside the main, the program works perfect... Why is it doing thise? Function Code: if(!SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO>0)) cout<<"Error:: failed init Video: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a"; if(!SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO>0)) cout<<"Error:: failed init Audio: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a"; if(!SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_TIMER>0)) cout<<"Error:: failed init Timer: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a"; SDL_Surface *wscreen; wscreen=SDL_SetVideoMode(640, 480, 32, SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_DOUBLEBUF); if(wscreen!=0) cout<<"Error:: failed setting the screen: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a"; return *wscreen; Main Code: int main(int argc, char *argv[]) { int done=0; SDL_Surface *screen; *screen=Initw(); while(done == 0) { SDL_Event event; while ( SDL_PollEvent(&event) ) { if ( event.type == SDL_QUIT ) { done = 1; } if ( event.type == SDL_KEYDOWN ) { if ( event.key.keysym.sym == SDLK_ESCAPE ) { done = 1; } } } DrawScene(screen); } atexit(SDL_Quit); return 0; }

Advertisement
It should follow this format as well when you break it down:

if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) < 0 )
cout<<"Error:: failed init Video: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a";
if( SDL_InitSubSystem( SDL_INIT_AUDIO ) < 0 )
cout<<"Error:: failed init Audio: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a";
if( SDL_InitSubSystem( SDL_INIT_TIMER ) < 0 )
cout<<"Error:: failed init Timer: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a";

But since you are doing all those at once, you can just do:

if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_AUDIO | SDL_INIT_TIMER ) < 0 )
cout<<"Error:: failed init SDL: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a";

Here is the docs page for SDL_InitSubSystem. Note that it returns -1 on failure and 0 on success.

- Drew

ALSO
You can just do this:

void FunctionCode()
{
if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO | SDL_INIT_AUDIO | SDL_INIT_TIMER ) < 0 )
cout<<"Error:: failed init SDL: "<<SDL_GetError()<<"\n\a";
SDL_SetVideoMode(640, 480, 32, SDL_HWSURFACE|SDL_DOUBLEBUF);
}

Then in your main function:

screen = SDL_GetVideoSurface();

SDL_GetVideoSurface documentation. You really need to work with the SDL_Surface* pointers rather than dereference them and try to copy. With that said, instead of having a screen variable that you pass, you just call the SDL_GetVideoSurface everytime you need the main screen.

Yea i know, i wrote it that way in order to give the option to init AUDIO and TIMER, i just want to know why it isn't working as a function...

Quote:
Original post by Macerlask
Yea i know, i wrote it that way in order to give the option to init AUDIO and TIMER, i just want to know why it isn't working as a function...

I updated my post, but the the logics of your functions I believe are what making it not work. I have used SDL in .dlls before and various functions with no problems at all, so it does indeed work [smile].

return *wscreen;

SDL_Surface *screen;
*screen=Initw();

Don't you want:

return wscreen;

SDL_Surface *screen;
screen=Initw();

That is, to return a pointer to the screen object?

No, I'm returning the pointer, if I compile without '*' i get thise

"cannot convert 'SDL_Surface' to 'SDL_Surface' in assigment"

but Thanks...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!