• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Riddle

Free open-source multiplatform font library? ( c# )

This topic is 4912 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello guys! I need a free multiplatform ( So not Windows only ) font library that I can use with C#/ port to C#! I could try to make one myself ( bitmap ), but oh well.. maybe you guys already have a finished one! :) Thank you very much for your help!

Advertisement
You realize that by using c# you are effectively limiting your portability right there. There are projects porting the .NET framework but I dont know anything about their state and their quality, having said that, I consider all .NET languages to be windows specific. In other words, if your looking for cross platform compatability use a different language.

.NET languages may become a feasible cross platform solution in the future, but as far as I am concerned, for the present, i dont consider them to be a viable cross platform solution.

hope that helps
-Dan

Well, I am using mono and the windows version of the .net framework.
I had like to be able to display font on both.

I could do it like this:

IFont -> abstract BitmapFont -> abstract GLBitmapFont -> GLW32BitmapFont / GLMonoBitmapFont ( or so )

IFont -> abstract FtfFont -> abtract GLFTFFont -> GLW32FTFFont ...
( Argh, stupid and ugly names! )

I once saw a font tutorial on nehe, but the tutorial is using Windows specific calls to create the font. How do I import these methods?

Do you know a ftf font class that is not using any extern libs. ( Like freetype )?
So guys please any ftf font classes that I can port to C#?

Thank you so much!
Riddle.

[Edited by - Riddle on March 4, 2005 2:12:34 AM]

Like the other poster said, you're using C#. If Mono doesn't yet have the standard font library, maybe you could look into converting it yourself.

I'm not aware of any font libs other than freetype. Why isn't that an option btw? It's a great library, and shouldn't be too hard to wrap in managed c++.

Well, the problem is that I didn't do that once.. and I don't have C++.net/cli!

So a C++.net/cli wrapper is faster / better than a C# one? If yes - why are libraries like Tao made in C#?

Managed C++ is defintely not going to work on mono currently, which is why all of tao goes through p/invoke in c#. I know dave has added SDL TTF support in Tao.Sdl, SDL TTF essentially wraps freetype if that's of use to you.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!