• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
unwastedXY

Unity Multilingual online games

This topic is 4982 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking at exploring the idea of machine translation during gameplay for online games and wanted some input from the community. Are there any games that you know of that currently use this idea? Where players can type text and the players on the other end will see the machine translated text in whatever language they set as their preference. Besides the obvious, that no translator will be perfect, what are the drawbacks you would see in such an idea? I am thinking in the realm of online games this would allow for greater colaboration among players from different areas of the world. Any thoughts? thanks

Advertisement
That's an interesting concept, but it will have to be something that the consumer will want to pay extra for, since the game developer is not likely to pay for it.

Perhaps a developer could give the game the ability to filter the chat through translation software provided by the user.

pretty sure that Final Fantasy online had exactly this. It was released in japan long before it was released in western countries. On release in the west, a big proportion of players on all the servers were already japanese. they released the client with built in translation software the translated english to japanese and the reverse. such programs are pretty easy to find nowadays and are very cheap. It made sense for this game since they didn't roll out a whole new set of servers for western players. for a game like Worlds of Warcraft, which has regional servers, a translation program isn't as necessary b/c generally all the non-english speaking players are on their respective regional servers.

-me

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!