• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mattor

Why won't SDL prog run outside folder?

This topic is 5003 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I get a Parachute Deployed when I copy the .exe onto my desktop and try to run it from there, but when I run it from the folder it was created in (using dev-cpp) it works fine. Why?? Is it a memory problem, or something I don't know about SDl? I tried putting in in a folder with a copy of SDL.dll but that didn't help.

Advertisement
Keep experimenting with putting different files into a folder with the app. The only thing I can think of is that you are missing a dependant file. If nothing works, try resetting and keep messing around. There is a solution to the problem, you can find it.

I think you need to right click on the file in your folder, and hit create shortcut. The copy thinks it is still in the folder, and that's why it probably cannot find the files.

"Parachute deployed" means your main thread (your program) crashed while the SDL threads were still going (remember - SDL is multithreaded). SDL detected this, and terminated all its threads.

Which means, you've got a problem in your app. I'd suspect you're trying to load a bitmap or something, and it can't find it. Try running the executable in the \debug folder; if that works, then copy the whole area to another folder, and start deleting files until it stops working. The file you last deleted would probably be causing the problem.

You could have avoided this will better error catching. Make sure you've got all the data files your program uses (bitmaps, scripts, whatever) where they're supposed to be. Which, unless you specify otherwise, is in the same folder as the executable.

Good luck.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!