importance of framerate

Started by
4 comments, last by lakibuk 23 years, 5 months ago
i heard that a game (e.g. quake) plays much better the higher the framerate is. why is that so ? aren''t 24 fps enough,because the human eye doesnt see more than 24 images/second ?
Karl - Blueskied Games | my german site: Gratis Spiele
Advertisement
yes but it does''t look as plush as if the framerate were 80 or so. also it''s definately not as smooth.

JoeMont001@aol.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
24 frames per second?!!?!? Where did you hear this? Yes, it is true that movies are shown at 24 frames per second, but they include motion blurring which fools the brain(which surprisingly is easily fooled). If a game could pull off motion blurring with 24 frames per second it would be playable, however input might not be as smooth as 60 fps.

-------------------------
How you like them apples?
screen updates aside (though i was reading an article the other day that mentioned a figure of nearer 120fps)
the game will feel sluggish at 24fps. cause not only r the grafix being drawn at 24fps but the input as well as everything else is being sampled at 24fps , which is 41ms which sounds quick (a false start in running is 100ms) but in actual game play u easily notice the difference

http://members.xoom.com/myBollux
Human vision acts at a rate of 20-30 Hz, with 25 being about average. Movies run at about 24 Hz, with motion blur. Motion blur doesn''t actually occur in real life, and nor in most computer generate images. In order for a set of non-tampered still frames to move without jerkiness to the processing of the human brain, you need to double the rate that the still frames are presented with respect to rate that image processing is done, so 40-60 Hz. (due to frequency sampling theory. for justification, try thinking of perceiving a sine wave at discrete time points. if you sample at the same frequency as the sine wave you might only get the peaks, whereas if you sample at twice that frequence you''ll get both the peaks and the valleys.)
I won''t argue with anyone here is wrong because I have no idea. Another possibility though is that the average is 30, but depending on circumstances you may be dropping to 10 or 12. Statistically averages are pretty useless without variances. The average income for everyone in the U.S. is some value. That doesn''t give you a very good idea of what Bill Gates income is though If your frame rate is really high then under the worst of circumstances your frame rate is most likely still very good.

Personally I could care less. As long as the average is around 30fps I''m happy playing a game. My main interest is marvelling at the programming, artwork and design. Turning off a bunch of options to get a high framerate seems counterproductive to me. Perhaps the game is more responsive at 120fps second, but if you turned off every graphic option and ran at the lowest resolution you are missing a lot of the game as far as I''m concerned. If responsiveness was my concern I wouldn''t be half tanked while I''m playing it Anyone that runs a game at 640 by 480 with a 21 inch monitor so it plays better has a screw loose if you ask me.
Keys to success: Ability, ambition and opportunity.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement