Plus heap memory

Started by
3 comments, last by rockslave 23 years, 5 months ago
How can I get more dynamic memory in DOS? I cannot even store a 150x150 pixels image! Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;
Advertisement
It may help if you stated the compiler and the language you are using.

If it''s C, its malloc
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I don´t mean how to allocate. There is a limit on it, and its space is pretty short. How to expand it, using EMM or maybe EMX?
I´m using Borland C++

Thanks, Arthur(rockslave)
import money.*;#include "cas.h"uses bucks;
Are you using the SMALL memory model? If so, you need to switch to medium or large memory models.

Please state the nature of the debugging emergency.

sharewaregames.20m.com

You have to use interrupt call...
Check out the interrupt list for DOS. I think it''s INT 33h, but I''m not sure. You''ll have to work with pages of 16k. You need to reserve those pages, select one and then work with it with a pointer in low memory. This is not difficult, but I suggest you make a wrapper or interface to get it easy and transparent.
If you need help, I think I can found an old program I made at school, or I can give advices.

If you just want to make a console game, you may wish to use some librairies and work with 32-bit protected mode... it could let you do a malloc of say 2Mb or an array variable of 600x2000...

BTW, you can do an allocation of 300k if you want. Even in low memory (except for SMALL memory model).
Now I know what I'm made of, and I'm afraid of it...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement