Yet Another Thought on Magic

Started by
9 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 5 months ago
Um, rarity does not neccessarily mean a limited number, it just means it is harder to get.

Say we have a very powerful spell, called, oh say... Light of Dawn. Maybe the attack would be this gigantic laser beam or something. The components could be a piece of coiled metal, a mirror pointing at the sun, and a ruby. Now, make the extremely rare item the ruby. There are several ways to make it rare, without putting it in limited quantities.

#1: Have a store sell rubies for a rediculusly high price that would take you a while to get. Then, it is still rare, and would make you think twice about getting it. (It took me 3 days to get enough money to get that ruby, do I REALLY want to blast that dragon?)

#2: Have like this ruby mine where you can visit, but you have to travel though some really dangerous mountains, where powerful creatures lurk. Then, at the end, you can search for rubies. You could say that all the rubies in the mine had been taken by various creatures and you had to find a creature with the ruby. You could try to bargin the ruby from the creature or just kill it or something. The creatures would be really tough, so you would probably have to teleport back home before you were killed at that point.

#3: (Improved version of 2) Make it so that only certain, hard to find, powerful creatures had rubies, and those guys only had rubies a small percentage of the time. There wouldn''t be a monopoly on rubies because there would be an unlimited number. However, they would be very hard to find.

#4: First off, you need a really big world. Now, have this portal that takes you into a room where one ruby is held. After you take the ruby and go back though the portal, the portal teleports to a random part of the world, where it waits for the next adventurer (and refills it''s one ruby as well).

There, I hoped one of those answered your objection MatrixCubed.

-Blackstream
-Blackstream Will you, won't you, will you, won't you, won't you take my virus?-The Mad HackerBlackstream's Webpage

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement