Attacks, Bitching, etc.

Started by
64 comments, last by NeHe 23 years, 5 months ago
I see I''m under attack more than ever these days. A large majority of you have nothing good to say but you continually stop by to spout out crap. So ... I stopped visiting the forum. Now you complain I''m not here. Q&A Gossip, Rumours, Ideas: Q: should we add a Q&A section to the site? A: YES... I have been saying that for a LONG time! Q: Why isn''t it there then? A: I don''t have time! Q: Does NeHe steal code? A: Not at all. I have never stole code, I never plan to, and I''m pissed off people think I have. Anyone that has ever done a tutorial for the site has gotten full credit at the end and of the tutorial, and 90% of the time, they have their own credits, and such in the code! In regards to tutorials I have written, I have looked at how other peoples code works, but I doubt you will ever see a line for line copy of code. I ALWAYS rewrite the code, strip out parts I don''t need, etc. I have been told through email you guys have a discussion about the TGA code. Q: What the hell are you doing that''s more important than running the site, and catering to us and only us. A: My mom has cancer, my brothers kidneys work at 5%, my dad is having a hard time with his business, I''m working my ass off to help everyone out. In regards to the site, I''m making CD''s, packaging CD''s, trying to get sponsors, trying to get demos, trying to get new tutorials and trying to keep everyone here happy (on the forum in email, etc)! I get about 40-200 emails a day asking for help! Q: Why don''t you get a helper? A: I dont have anything to offer a helper. I''m anal about what goes on the site, and how the site looks. I don''t know the skill level of anyone out there! Q: You must be making some money!?! A: I just made $200 (first payment ever from gamedev). In ONE day, that $200 went towards paying for new CD''s to ship out. I also received two checks from my merchant for $70 each. That $140 shipped 10 CD''s. I still have 30 to ship. You think I''m making anything... you''re WRONG! I make absolutely nothing from this site, as a matter of fact, it''s taking hundreds of dollars out of my pocket every week! Q: Why don''t we have collision, Bezier, Shadow, Metaball, etc. Tutorials? A: You want to write em, go ahead. I have no time right now. Final statement: If you don''t appreciate the work I do, if you have NOTHING good to say, if you don''t believe in cutting a guy slack when he''s struggling his ass off, then don''t bother coming here! If I''m going to be attacked for not living up to your expectations then obviously I''m not good enough for you! As a final remark about my code, and stealing ideas. I was writing demos back when 3dfx released their VERY first GL driver to the public. If I somehow managed to steal the base code I have now from someone back in that period of time, don''t you think they would have pointed it out by now!?!
Advertisement
Why don''t you quit your website since it seems you can''t handle it?
AP: It''s because, like a lot of things that are given for free, consumers will whine and complain because it isn''t free enough. NeHe spent his time designing the website, setting up the code, putting together the tutorials, and gods-know what else. I''m strictly a Direct3D programmer (taking a backseat for now because of limited time), and I don''t want to touch OpenGL for a little while longer, but when I do, I will probably go to NeHe''s site first, simply because there IS no other site that is so wholly oriented around teaching how to program in OpenGL (as opposed to, how to use the API).

NeHe: Don''t worry about pissant whiners, or negative people like AP here. They, in the end, only ruin things for the contributors to the game developers'' community. You do great work, and I''ll thank you early for the QueryPerformanceCounter tutorial you gave, which I now use in my own game engine.

(By the way, I turned it into a separate class, so if you''d like the code, by all means email me.)

MatrixCubed
i think nehe''s site is useful, lots of good info, the tutorials help out a lot, and show how to do new stuff in a nice easy manner...
as for code stealing, thats just plain silly - there are only so many ways you can load a tga file!! - and if you look on the web you''ll find them repeated thousands of times

i think its a great shame that people come here to complain about stuff - this is free speech gone bad...you wouldn''t go to nehe''s house and tell him he''s crap or he''s a thief so you shouldn''t do it here. Have some manners for gods sake! and if you don''t like it here leave... also if you have a personal grievance (like him not acknowledging YOUR OWN work), why not mail nehe direct? instead of wasting space in this forum

alistair
Its a real shame you''ve decided to stop the site altogether, but I understand that you need a break.

You posted this
"
Q: Why don''t you get a helper?
A: I dont have anything to offer a helper. I''m anal about what goes on the site, and how the site looks. I don''t know the skill level of anyone out there!
"

I would be happy to help you out m8, with no need for anything. I can help with the website and I know everything anyone can from reading just your tutorials..

I''m not excellent as far as OpenGL goes, but I would be happy to help in anyway possible...

I''m sorry for your situation m8, hope things clear up for you...

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
I only just began learning openGL, and in the beginning, i found it extremely difficult to find tutorials on how to even setup simple base code with the stupid thing. NeHe''s site helped me understand the basic concepts of using OpenGL for 3d programming. Ever since discovering his site, i''ve been visiting this place everyday.
What i do not understand is this: why cant NeHe just ignore what goes on? It''s like some criminals out there on the streets, they have something loose in their skulls & continue to assult & abuse people, destroy things etc. You think that if you sell your house & car that these criminals will just go away? Likewise, people out there with something loose in their heads are always going to diss any webmaster out there running a site which helps newbies. Hey, maybe thats an idea, maybe these ''professional programmers'' are getting ticked off because they can no-longer show off their pathetic 3d games to people who dont know how to do it, because they can just come here and make it themselves. *sigh* enough from me.. time to find a new site to hang out on.

- wAVaRiaN
To the 10% that he is refering to : What the hell is wrong with you people? Are you so insecure with your pathetic lives that you have nothing better to do than to insult someone who is doing nothing more than sharing knowledge? He wasn't gaining ANYTHING from the TGA code, WE were! He didn't have to write tutorials, he did it because he knew some people cared. You stupid bastards will one day wake up and realize that just because you feel less than someone else doesn't mean that you can try to make them feel like crap and pick apart everything they do. I hope you all die a slow and painful death (10%).

Edited by - Firetop on November 4, 2000 9:19:36 PM
Ugg --

Hi

I just have to say something is totally wrong with someone who would complain at Nehe for whatever reasons. At the end of the day Nehe is not gaining anything buy helping the people that come to his site and he must have help thousands of people in the form of having a site that teaches people from scratch how to program in OpenGL. Also In case I have missed them there are not many if any sites that are as good as Nehe''s.

I don’t think anyone can blame nehe for stopping due to the pressure he is under, but this is a sad day and the people who have brought this on by crying and whining are also sad.

As for the TGA code well - its quite obvious that the people who complain are nothing but jealous of what Nehe has created, how about putting the energy into something creative and do something instead of trying to ruin things for other people.

Hay Nehe don’t let them get you down man, in the end they are not worth it. And either way if you do or do not decide to start the site up again its been informative. And thanks, and lastly good luck to all your family I hope everything works out for you all

3DG.
the site closed while i was writing my response (above) ... i too wish nehe well, and hope his problems ease ... i also hope that the site comes back some day, i really like it round here
This is, by far, the worst tragedy I''ve ever seen. To Binory and anyone else who claims Jeff stole something, let me tell you this: YOUR loading code is no more original than anyone else''s, son! As a programmer with quite a bit of experience, I must say that you are WAY out of line to think that Jeff ripped your code--there is NO SUCH THING as totally original code! NONE. You want to argue this point? Fine, write your own damn programming language, THEN open your pie whole.

To Jeff: My friend, I''ve been a staunch fan of your website since I found it in spring, and I''ve never seen a better place to learn from. I feel deeply sorry that your family situation is as it stands, and I wish there were something more that could be done to help you and yours out right now. If you need time away from your site, then by all means--TAKE IT! You DESERVE to have time off every now and then.... I look at my busy schedule and think I''m swamped, yet then I consider all you''re going through and I can''t see how you manage. Makes my life seem easy...

Anyway, my point is that I hope you won''t give up on your site completely, as it is obviously something you love. Your tutorials are EXCELLENT, and they help us newbie OGL''ers out so much that that is why I ordered your disc. Your attention to detail is admirable, and I''d hate to see NeHe Productions go down for good....

To those who would seek to defame or hurt Jeff with your absurd remarks and bullshit statemnts:

You people are the trash that I walk on everyday, and you should be ashamed or yourself. You think you look any better than Jeff by slandering him?? Think again; you just let your own remarkable ignorance shine through when you speak crudely of him.

To those who support Jeff and his site: PLEASE let him know that you appreciate what he does. I, for one, don''t want to lose one of the coolest places online for learning OpenGL on the ''Net, and I hope that many of you feel the same way, as well.

NeHe Productions is important to many people.... Those who would speak ill of it and its proprietor should be considered annoying background noise in the grand scheme of things. Best wishes to you, Jeff, and to your family. I hope that when the storm winds have blown away, NeHe Productions will continue to stand....

--David

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement