Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ALH

Weird rendering problem...

Recommended Posts

ALH    122
Hi! I''ve recently upgraded from PR 2.6 to PR 3.08 and PR 4-Beta, perhaps any of you may have crossed paths with this particular problem, this one is driving me crazy... When I try to run a particular program of mine using PR 3.08 and PR 4-Beta, some objects seems "inverted" (or should I say in a 3DStudio Max language "Single-Sided"), that''s right, the objects that looks fine when I render them using my Voodoo2 card, but looks inverted on other cards, at least many which I''ve tried, like ATI, TNT2 (this one in Win2K), and some onboard ones... If I try with PR2.6 it works fine, and there is no problems in any other cards. I''ve looked almost everywhere trying to solve this, to give an example: Looks like the object is broken, and looks broken differently in different angles. I am taking some hypothesis like z-buffering perhaps, but I am not sure how to solve it, I''ve tried zooming in and out, backing the camera off and going forward, I''ve also tried to use PR_DepthBufferFunction with all possible options without a success, anyone got a clue? Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ALH    122
BTW, I''ve seen a similar topic below called "Z-Buffer Problems" that''s why I assumed it could be Z-Buffering...

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Gary    122
I have a friend who''s made me a couple models. The models that he''s sent me, when converted to pro(using proedit), have had inverted normals. It''s really strange since when I make 3ds models it doesn''t happen. Basically, the model looks fine in 3ds but when you convert it to pro the normals are inverted. He found that if he exported to a format like dxf(that doesn''t save the 3ds normals) and reinported back into 3dstudio then 3dstudio would show the same thing that proedit was showing and he could correct it. I also found that I could get the model into pro format ok using optimiza''s 3ds pro exporter.

I never tried these models with 2.6 so I can''t say whether it''s a similar problem or just a problem with his 3dstudio.

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ALH    122
I think it might be the same problem, although, I am not sure why that''s happening, I am also using Optimiza 3DS Max Output Plugin for 3DS Max 3, and my MAX Version is 3.1, which is the whole developing environment of the meshes...

Could it be some of the Max prefs which kicked in when I converted from PR 2.6 -> PR 3.0? There is a basic model creation profile that should be taken in consideration on 3DS Max perhaps?

I am currently exporting: 1 animated Camera, a large animated scenario which contains a fixed position character, and that''s it, I am not exporting anything else...

Well, thanks for your answer, I am still looking, if I succeed, I''ll tell you what was wrong...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ChrisE    184
It sounds like your scene is too small. Voodoo2 renders it fine because it will use wbuffering. Other cards might use 16 bit zbuffer and the precision won''t be high enough to sort the polygons correctly.

Try to scale your scene so that uses as much of the zbuffer range (0-65535) in PR as possible.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
darrin    122
I have noticed the inverted normals thing from max.
If you flip an object in max, then export it, the flipped objects normals are inverted.

Try exporting as a 3ds then importing the 3ds file back into max, and you can see it, definatly a problem with max''s 3ds export.
The easiest way I found to fix this, is to create a cube, and attach the naughty mesh to the cube, creating one object, then detach it using the edit mesh modifier.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Darrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites