Sign in to follow this  

Driver Development Kit

This topic is 4659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am trying to get my hands on a copy of the DDK for windows. It looks like either you have to be a MSDN Subscriber, or you can order a "free CD" and they will ship it to you. Unfortunatly, shipping is $20. I can probably get it from my University as they are an MSDN member (MSDNAA), but they take forever to do anything. Does anyone know where I can download the DDK without being an MSDN member or ordering their "Free CD"? -Greg

Does anyone even know what the DDK is? I was pointed in that direction, but I am not even sure what it comes with or why I need it. I am a real beginner when it comes to writing hardware drivers. Are there alternatives to the DDK? Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it is just to say "pay the $20 bucks for the CD".

Thanks,
-Greg

I'm not sure if MSDNAA includes the DDK.
Pay the $20. It's your only real choice - you can't download it anywhere. Given everything that comes on the CD, is it really that expensive?

Guest Anonymous Poster
There used to be a link on there to download, it should be off on the right hand side somewhere (I think). I downloaded it about a year ago, and the link should still be there.

I also felt like trying it out at one time, but it seems that it can't be downloaded from anywhere. Unless you can find someone you know who can give you a copy of it, you might as well just order the CD. Otherwise, maybe you could find a Microsoft office and ask for the kit there, so it won't have to be shipped.

Hey im just curios as to where on msn you can obtain the ddk for $20 shipping?
as im also in need of it and can only find this one Windows DDK Suite 3
Cost : $199.95 USD.

click

cheers.

Which OS do you want to write a driver for? There are different tools for each Windows OS. The 9x stuff is very different from the NT stuff, and NT3 & NT4 are different from w2k & XP. (And the 2003 server & Longhorn stuff is probably different too).

You need not only the correct DDK, but the correct assembler and/or compiler too!

[ Despite the fact that it's free, the DDK is illegal to redistribute. Sorry. --Sneftel ]

[Edited by - Sneftel on March 12, 2005 12:44:55 AM]

Quote:
Original post by Greg K
Does anyone even know what the DDK is?

For the record, DDK stands for "Driver Development Kit". It includes a set of header files for driver development, a smattering of development tools, documentation for various kernel routines and sample code for various types of drivers.

The DDK, unfortunately, is illegal to redistribute, despite the fact that it's available for free.

This topic is 4659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.