Sign in to follow this  

Networking

This topic is 4665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Okay, I've finally got a networking Chatlike program working on my local host. I set up the server on port 4444 and then connect the clients with 127.0.0.1:4444. It works great. However, I am on a wireless network which in turn hooks up to the LAN and then through the cable modem. If I wanted someone else online to dial my ip address to test my program how would I go about doing it? (if possible... I think I remember something about port fowarding....) Thanks in advance!

Yes, set your router to send all packets whose port is 4444 to your server's ip address and have your clients connect to your external IP address (not your server's actual private IP)

Okay since I've missplaced my username and password for my router...

I use bittorrent and I know that its ports are between 6881-6999. I figured I'd use port 6882 until I got my username and password because i know that I can use bittorrent. I set up my server on port 6882. I went to whatismyip.com to get my external IP, and tried to connect my clients through 6882.

It didn't work. Is there something else that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Quote:
Original post by H_o_p_s
Okay since I've missplaced my username and password for my router...

I use bittorrent and I know that its ports are between 6881-6999. I figured I'd use port 6882 until I got my username and password because i know that I can use bittorrent. I set up my server on port 6882. I went to whatismyip.com to get my external IP, and tried to connect my clients through 6882.

It didn't work. Is there something else that I'm missing?

Thanks!
You won't be able to connect through that IP, but others will. That's because the router sees that the connection is comming from inside your LAN, so it doesn't try to forward it.
If you can get someone else to try it, it should work fine.

This topic is 4665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.