MD2 importer/exporter for 3D Studio Max??

Started by
12 comments, last by RobTheBloke 19 years, 1 month ago
okay, i've been checking out a lot of tutor site, and they always use mdl files for animating characters or anything with bones. but for world maps are done in 3ds. anyway just wondering if there is a way to get 3ds animations in OGL. and if not, what other programs can i create animations with, beside milkshape. Er doesnt seem to work with service pack 2. [Edited by - Thanhda on March 8, 2005 2:32:52 PM]
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Thanhda
anyway just wondering if there is a way to get 3ds animations in OGL

Have a look at this post. You could try out Blender as an alternative to MilkShake as well. I didn't know MS didn't work with SP2, I'll give it a try and see if it does on my comp.

- Drew
okay, i've been checking out a lot of tutor site, and they always use mdl files for animating characters or anything with bones. but for world maps are done in 3ds. anyway just wondering if there is a way to get 3ds animations in OGL. and if not, what other programs can i create animations with, beside milkshape. Er doesnt seem to work with service pack 2.

Milkshape works with SP2 for me.

As for 3ds animation, I'm pretty sure the 3ds format doesn't support skeletal animation, and since that is usually the preferred animation type in games nowadays it's usually not used. With that said, most games use their own format anyway, since you can store only what you need and store it in a way that's logical for your program.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton
anyway just wondering if there is a way to get 3ds animations in OGL

Have a look at this post. You could try out Blender as an alternative to MilkShake as well. I didn't know MS didn't work with SP2, I'll give it a try and see if it does on my comp.

- Drew

i did check that post out, thats where i realized that all the models with bones are mdl, md2 or ms3d files and 3ds can only be static models with no animations. or at least as far as i know. let me know if you know of any other way of doing it. or any other md2 editors, or if theres a way to do it in 3dsmax.
Thanhda TieDigital Shock, Technical Director & Business Relations15-75 Bayly Street West, Suite #173Ajax, Ontario, L1S 7K7Tel: 416.875.1634http://www.digitalshock.net
Quote:Original post by Kalidor
okay, i've been checking out a lot of tutor site, and they always use mdl files for animating characters or anything with bones. but for world maps are done in 3ds. anyway just wondering if there is a way to get 3ds animations in OGL. and if not, what other programs can i create animations with, beside milkshape. Er doesnt seem to work with service pack 2.

Milkshape works with SP2 for me.

As for 3ds animation, I'm pretty sure the 3ds format doesn't support skeletal animation, and since that is usually the preferred animation type in games nowadays it's usually not used. With that said, most games use their own format anyway, since you can store only what you need and store it in a way that's logical for your program.

well i'm not that much of a programmer to create my own file format. for the milkshape on sp2, well my dell came with it pre install direct from dell with sp2, and it seems to not be able to run a lot of apps. so i dont know why it isnt working. if you know any other methods of editing mdl2 or other let me know thanks,.
i did check that post out, thats where i realized that all the models with bones are mdl, md2 or ms3d files and 3ds can only be static models with no animations. or at least as far as i know. let me know if you know of any other way of doing it. or any other md2 editors, or if theres a way to do it in 3dsmax.

Well if you remember the GameTutorial's old tutorials, they had animations in their models, but I do not know if they had bones or not. Take a look at the free MD2 and MD3 animation tut's here and see if they are what you need.
well i'm not that much of a programmer to create my own file format. for the milkshape on sp2, well my dell came with it pre install direct from dell with sp2, and it seems to not be able to run a lot of apps. so i dont know why it isnt working. if you know any other methods of editing mdl2 or other let me know thanks,.

Well making the file format itself isn't difficult, it's just the exporter from the modeling program that's tough. I haven't written an exporter for anything but Maya, but with that I know it's easier than it seems at first, but it still is pretty daunting. So yeah, stick with an already established format.

I really don't know why milkshape wouldn't be working, maybe try reinstalling if you haven't already. I don't know, maybe call Dell tech support, as horrible as that sounds coming out of my mouth (well, my fingers).

I've heard some pretty good things about Blender, and it's free (and open source) so if Milkshape doesn't work out maybe you can try that. I don't have any experience with it though.
Quote:Original post by Drew_Benton

Well if you remember the GameTutorial's old tutorials, they had animations in their models, but I do not know if they had bones or not. Take a look at the free MD2 and MD3 animation tut's here and see if they are what you need.

well they never really shown signs of bones in any of them. the main factor is creating triggers for the mdl or md2 files. i'm using the viewer to watch the animation tiggers. when making a model they have animated triggers build into the file like you said. what i want to find out is how to i create these animation in general. bones or without bones. let me know thanks.
Quote:Original post by Kalidor

Well making the file format itself isn't difficult, it's just the exporter from the modeling program that's tough. I haven't written an exporter for anything but Maya, but with that I know it's easier than it seems at first, but it still is pretty daunting. So yeah, stick with an already established format.

I really don't know why milkshape wouldn't be working, maybe try reinstalling if you haven't already. I don't know, maybe call Dell tech support, as horrible as that sounds coming out of my mouth (well, my fingers).

I've heard some pretty good things about Blender, and it's free (and open source) so if Milkshape doesn't work out maybe you can try that. I don't have any experience with it though.

dell? they dont know sh*t all. haha, most of there techs dont even know what a bios is, as sad as it is. most of there tech support isnt even from dell directly, half the time its just some random guy from a totally different country that can barely speak english and only has a hand book of things. which more or less means no sense of knowledge. for reformating it? well i havnt done it yet, but plan to, but i will surely install it without sp2.

okay what exactly is blender good for beside modelling? and if there is animation there doesnt seem to be a way for me to export them into md2 files or so on.
dell? they dont know sh*t all. haha, most of there techs dont even know what a bios is, as sad as it is. most of there tech support isnt even from dell directly, half the time its just some random guy from a totally different country that can barely speak english and only has a hand book of things. which more or less means no sense of knowledge.

Yeah I wasn't holding out much hope that that would work.
Quote:for reformating it? well i havnt done it yet, but plan to, but i will surely install it without sp2.

Sorry, I meant reinstalling milkshape, but you probably tried that many times. And if reformatting doesn't fix it I don't know what would. But that's obviously a last-case option.
Quote:okay what exactly is blender good for beside modelling? and if there is animation there doesnt seem to be a way for me to export them into md2 files or so on.

I'm not really sure how good Blender's animation tools are, but you can probably find some python scripts to export to a lot of different file formats. I believe somewhere on that page they have links to a bunch of plugins and scripts.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement