• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Kram

OpenGL text rendering in OpenGL

This topic is 4854 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey guys, Im new to OpenGL programming, very new, but i have had alot of experience with Java and C++, me and my mate want to make a game, we have started planning and such and i have been assigned to make the menus for the game. I would like them to (obviously) look cool, and be flexible so that I can change words easily if i want to and i want to be able to click on them or just select them using the keybaord. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Kram (BTW we are not using GLUT)

Advertisement
I learnt adding text to a window with this tutorial by
Lighthouse
. Even thought it is based on Glut, you can still get the idea from it.

If you want to go more low-level, you can use the FreeType library (www.freetype.org), and you can make your text rendering code portable (if I am right, the text rendering code in Nehe is Win32-only).

thanks alot guys, I will have a good read of them and let you know how it went :D

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!