Sign in to follow this  

send Geometry to the GPU

This topic is 4663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am looking for an efficient way of sending my geometry to the GPU. I can use : -> GL_NV_vertex_array_range and GL_ATI_vertex_array_object (by checking if these extensions exist) -> compiled vertex array What is the fastest solution ? and have you already used them ? (Display List are good but so static ... i can't use them).

CVA should be forgotten about, its not even a truely finished it extension and apart from in very rare cases could hurt rather than help performance.

NV VAR can be handy if you really need to tune things however both that and ATI's VAO have been superceeded by Vertex Buffer Objects (VBOs), which should be as fast as those two extensions but are cross vendor and very well supported by both camps.

edit: corrected a mistake, cheers for spotting it Roquqkie

[Edited by - _the_phantom_ on March 8, 2005 3:59:28 AM]

Vertex Buffer Objects = VBO @ _the_phantom_ ;)))

Snatch:
Are your geometry and state-changes static, because then display-lists are still the most efficient to use.
If not, use VBO's as _the_phantom_ suggested!

Best regards,
Roquqkie

My geometry is static but i would like to be able to change texture on the fly and i use multitexturing. I could compile a display list but i don't know how many texture unit i am going to use so I can't use glMultiTexCoord.
At this time I use vertex array and glTexturePointer, when I use a new texture unit I do another glTexturePointer and I can map the i-th texture on the object.

Quote:
Original post by Roquqkie
Vertex Buffer Objects = VBO @ _the_phantom_ ;)))

heh, oh yeah [grin]
in my defense, it was early when I posted it and I've not been to bed since getting up yesterday afternoon [grin]

btw a note on the display lists;
- try not to put geometery and state changes in them together, the drivers can better optermise if you do one or the other
- if you have alot of state changes but dynamic geometery then compiler your state changes into a DL and use VBOs for geometery, best of both worlds [smile]

This topic is 4663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.