Sign in to follow this  

Putting an Application on a CD

This topic is 4668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm designing an application, an automated installer. This app will have to run from a CD, and be compatible with Windows 98, 2000 and XP. How do I know which DLLs and other dependencies to put on the CD so that my exe never triggers that dreaded "DLL not found..." message? Better yet, can I compile those DLLs (I'm only using system libraries) into the exe itself, so that it becomes self-contained? (I'm using Visual Studio 2003 under Windows XP Pro SP2) Thanks for any tips on this [wink]

You can check for module dependencies by using Dependency Walker (depends.exe) which is included in Visual Studio installation.

There's no trivial way to pack runtime modules files inside others and except Windows to be able to load them automatically in any circumstances. It is possible that some technique like this might work, but I've not researched the topic enough to be sure.

Generally, you need to be aware what functions and features are available in the lowest platform version (Windows 98, in your case) if you want to make an executable that can run on it and later versions. A quick way to ensure this is to set the WINVER pre-processor definition to correspond to the lowest target Windows version - if you try to use later functionality, the compiler warns you very harshly!

One way to cut down on required dlls is to link with that staic versions of the run time library. Of course this is not always an option with some libraries, other than that I don't think there's many options available apart from including the dlls on the CD.

Also use a CD-RW to do a few test runs on other computers - ie library, friends, school, etc.. (assuming you have permission of course [wink])

Quote:
Better yet, can I compile those DLLs (I'm only using system libraries) into the exe itself, so that it becomes self-contained?

Yes, but it will cost you. There are a few great programs that will pack *everything* into your final .exe, but they are quite costly, but work great. I cannot remember off the top of my head any of the names though.

This topic is 4668 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.