Getting Started

Started by
4 comments, last by jbadams 19 years, 1 month ago
I have just started getting into game programming and have been doing a number of NeHe's OpenGL lessons to get my animation a bit more upto scratch but I was wondering if any of you know any stuff online that is recommended reading and will give me a good foundation for my game design and will put me on the right track. Thanks In Advance
Advertisement
Read anything that tickles your fancy.
- CheeseMonger
Just remeber to start out easy and NOT dig into 3D. Start writing some classical games such as tetris, pacman and astroids.
Quote:Original post by doho
Just remeber to start out easy and NOT dig into 3D. Start writing some classical games such as tetris, pacman and astroids.

This is excellent advice, except if you're already a very skilled and experienced programmer, just not with games. In that case, this is still good advice, but you could probably start more advanced, like maybe with a tilemap based game (eg. mario).

As for online stuff, these very forums will probably be one of your greatest sources of knowledge and ispiration. Read all kinds of threads, whether they're related to your specific problem or not. You'll pull in a lot of knowledge that way, and be much more capable of solving new problems in effective and innovative ways.
Yeah, thanks for that, but was looking for stuff more lesson specific and structured so I can build my knowledge up in stages and they build on the last.
Such as Nehe's
but more game orientated.
And as for the 3D i understand how you mean starting out easy, i was just interested in the graphics and so learnt some of it. And I not really been able to find much structured learning on the internet yet.
A Tetris Tutorial. It's better if you can try to figure out the mechanics of some simple games yourself though, as you'll learn more that way. Tetris is actually a little more complex than a lot of people imply - I'd suggest trying Pong, as it's VERY simple - all you need is 2 moving paddles, and a ball (hell, if you wanted you could just have one moving paddle and a wall for the ball to bounce off, although this would be less challenging to players).

Note: I wouldn't call the linked tutorial 'recommended reading' by any measure - I havn't looked through it, but I presume it will walk you through the creation of a respectable tetris clone - the general recommendation however, is to try to figure it out on your own if you can - just give it a try, code your attempt, and ask for help if it doesn't work out right.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement