• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Daher_Q3A

Unity Software engineering job title

This topic is 4849 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, there are two people in a very mad argument, and I trust this community to say the wisedom: Guy1 has got a degree in "Electronic and computer engineering" Guy2 has got a degree in "Computer science" They both work as programmers, or as software engineers... Guy1 claims that Guy2 does not deserve the "Software Engineer" title because he's not an engineer. Guy2 thinks software engieering title is best suited for computer science degrees than electronic and computer engieering... What will happen in real-world ?

Advertisement
In the real world, no-one cares. I am officially a "Software Engineer", but my job involves just about zero programming - mostly documentation and testing.

Strictly speaking, since neither have a degree in Software Engineering, neither are Software Engineers.

In the real world, both are Software Engineers if that's what their job titles are.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
Strictly speaking, since neither have a degree in Software Engineering, neither are Software Engineers.

Agreed! SE != CE != EE != CS, even though they share overlapping fields of study. I am currently working for my degree in SE and I am doing a few things different from friends in CS and a lot of things different than friends in EE. So between those two, they are both Software Programmers. Please do not tell me these are adults seriously arguing over this title...

Guest Anonymous Poster
And in the real world I work as a "Software Engineer", but got a degree in a physical engineering subject. That-way I claim that I am definately an engineer & feel that software is the most suiable moniker for what I engineer :rolleyes:

For fun, you should go over to the people in the hardware engineering department and ask them if either of them should even be called "engineers".

-me

Quote:
Original post by Drew_Benton
Please do not tell me these are adults seriously arguing over this title...

Actually yes, at least I am still a student in CS in the second year, and this buddy, believe it or not, is almost 30 years old. and he's the one who's bringing this up everytime. it is maybe in his opinion that I shouldn't get this title because I should be an "ENGINEER" first. I keep on telling him that is what I do ( as a job in the company ) yet he's still on it, so I thought to show him the opinion of others.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!