Help about info on Blitz and BASIC! please

Started by
27 comments, last by 3dmodelerguy 19 years, 1 month ago
Im starting and i was wondering about: 1-What Language was used to create the Blitz products?BASIC or VBASIC? 2-Which one is better and why? 3-Is it made with a custom language or a mix?BlitzBasic? 4-What is BlitzBasic and whats good about it? 5-Is there anyway i can create my own style of BASIC like DarkBasic and BlitzBasic? 6-Is it very dificult(a team efort?) or is it simpler(only 1 person can)? 7-How long would it take? 8-Is Blitz3D a good way to start? 9-BlitzMax is out,is it better than Blitz3D?It costs less! Those are a few sorry,thanx for the help!
Advertisement
1,3 - I assume both are written in C, or C++.
5 - You most likely don't have the required programming and theoretical knowledge yet.
6 - Compiler writing is definitely a non-trivial task, though one that is accessible to a single programmer.
7 - Depends on how complex you want the language to be.

2,4,8,9 - I haven't use either of those, so I can't comment on their suitability.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
1) Microsoft Visual C++
2) Visual Basic is better than Basic as it gives more flexibility and control.
3) See 1.
4) Blitz Basic is an easy programming language geared specifically for making games. As such, much of the drawing and loading of items is simplified. It is also comprehensive enough to allow a good deal of control. It also compiles code rather than interprets (ala DarkBasic) which makes for faster running.

5) It is perfectly possible, but I suggest taking the time to make basic programs before designing a compiler.

6) Mark Sibly coded Blitz Basic / Blitz 3D on his own. Its perfectly possible to make a programming language on your own, but it is very time consuming.

7) Depends how advanced you want the language.

8) Blitz 3D is ideal for learning how to use a programming language and getting to grips with basic 3D geometry.

9) Blitz Max is currently available only for MacOS X. It offers the same function as Blitz3D but has support for direct OpenGL programming and supports a larger number of variables.

Hope this helps.
Worship the holy trinity that is Blitz, Babes and Beers!
Thanx but i still got a few Qs My NOOB Minded brain lol

First is Microsoft Visual C++ a PLanguage or a compiler?

Ok and to clear some things...

1-What Language was used to create the Blitz products?BASIC or VBASIC?
1) Microsoft Visual C++
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1-So your saying that the 3D Engine is made using C++ and it uses BlitzBasic to make a product/game?

4-What is BlitzBasic and whats good about it?
4) Blitz Basic is an easy programming language geared specifically for making games. As such, much of the drawing and loading of items is simplified. It is also comprehensive enough to allow a good deal of control. It also compiles code rather than interprets (ala DarkBasic) which makes for faster running.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
1-Its a Custom Made BASIC?

5-Is there anyway i can create my own style of BASIC like DarkBasic and BlitzBasic?
5) It is perfectly possible, but I suggest taking the time to make basic programs before designing a compiler.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
1-Making a Custom Language is my main goal right now,so if VBasic is better than Basic i should make a custom VBasic instead,right?

Now that you guys now and see what my goals are can anyone point me to the right direction?

Every Help is gladly apreciated!!!

Im a 17 yearold teen finishing high school have LOTS OF TIME(im going to night school) abelable to learn,my grades are getting better im in need of lots of help,like what classes should i be good at like math,what kind of math? that kind of stuff if there is anyway you can help please email me or post here.
bah, I remember when I started programming my first goal was to make a white square move on a black screen... and I was pretty happy when I got that.

Man, based on your questions you will NEVER be able to write a compiler, even if you struggled all your life. You obviosly dont have a clue what programming involves. Why the hell dont you go for something simple to start? I mean, I can expect this kind of thread from an 8 year old, not from a 17.
Got a Mac? Check out my game at [a]http://www.radicalrebound.com[/a]
Give the kid a break, he's obviously new to programming. There's a lot you won't comprehend until you get into the thick of it.

I wouldn't bother thinking about making your own custom language right now. Take some programming classes, eventually you'll hit some upper level ones where the goal is to design a language, if you want. I would just look on really working with existing languages until you get the hang of them.
Sorry but you understand me slightly wrong yes thats my goal but i didnt meant to do it in a week not a month nor a year thats my goal for when i start on my engine and stuff.

I wanted you guys to help me on were to start/begin now that you knw what i want to do.

And yes im maybe old to start but that dont matter to i just want to learn the stuff i need or what is good instead of going in the web crazy and learn everything thats useless.

Will you guys help me?

Thanx for your time.
Oh and i want to learn VBasic or Basic for what ill do.
A good place to start; evaluating expressions like 10*(8+7)
Make it possible that someone types that in and your program gives the answer.

Then with variables involved... 1+b
->ask for b
->ask for expression
->answer

Then comes reverse polish notation 8 7 + 10 *
That's a first start at your BASIC runtime for speeding up the interpreter process and "compiling" your code.

With an expression evaluator working, you'll have a big chunk going of what you wanna do.

Keep on coding!,
Uletus.
Quote:Original post by Mech_Master
Oh and i want to learn VBasic or Basic for what ill do.

Then this is the wrong place to ask. The majority of people here use C/C++ instead of proprietary software like Blitz -- you are best off to ask those forums for "how to guides".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement