Help about info on Blitz and BASIC! please

Started by
27 comments, last by 3dmodelerguy 19 years, 1 month ago
Ok i think i understand better about a few things.

I would like to learn BASIC but finding a working site is getting to be a mayor pain :(.I have never had something so dificult to find.Can anyone help me find the best Compiler for Basic.

Yes you say there are lots of compilers are this examples?

VisualBasic,QBasic,PowerBasic,DarkBasic,BlitzBasic,etc...

If those above are compilers-and a compiler is something that translates a language,then they all use the same/original BASIC language?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately, while most compilers do conform to the C++ standard almost all add in their own things which are non-standard.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Or like you said here ^ some of those compilers that i named above use the old BASIC with some new aditions?

Thanx very much,i think im actually learning... :)
Advertisement
They all use something similar to the BASIC syntax. Wikipedia's page on the BASIC programming language
Quote:If those above are compilers-and a compiler is something that translates a language,then they all use the same/original BASIC language?
Your computer speaks nothing but binary. Binary is basically a sequence of 1's and 0's in blocks of eight (electrical signals sent through your PC). Your PC understands nothing more. BASIC (Beginners All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code) is a programming language in its own right. All BASIC does is convert commands entered into a form that is readable by your computer.

C++, Visual Basic and other compilers do exactly the same thing. The commands used are different and different compilers will give you access to functions in varying ways. These programming languages could be made in many ways (I believe one was even made using an earlier version of itself!) but at your coding level its best not to concern yourself too much with how they are made. If you are merely interested, take a look at the Assembly language (its the closest thing to programming purely in binary).

So to further emphasise the point, try not to think in terms of classic BASIC when it comes to languages like C++ and VB. They are wildly different in terms of their usage and ability.

Quote:So your saying that the 3D Engine is made using C++ and it uses BlitzBasic to make a product/game?
Blitz Basic itself was programmed in C++. The whole thing was made completely using C++ with no BASIC. Blitz Basic is the final programming language that average Joe's like us use to make games.

Quote:Making a Custom Language is my main goal right now
For now, I suggest giving yourself a more short-term goal of mastering programming. Making your own programming language is hard. No, very hard. And to do that you'll need to know your program inside and out. You need to know how to handle memory allocation, distinguishing between variables, complex mathematics (because your users may want to program in some lengthy algorithms) and most importantly - functionality. Its a laborious process, and one which can only be embarked on once you really know your stuff in programming.

Recommended short-term goals:
It sounds lame, but believe it or not, this is how a lot of people start out.

1) A "Hello World" program in C or C++
2) A "Hello World" program using variables
3) Simple graphics (eg. Drawing a square)
4) A simple game (eg. Space Invaders).

Once you feel you've mastered those, you can work on more ambitious projects. But dont think that completing those tasks means you can write a compiler. There are some who have programmed many games and dont consider themselves competent enough to write a compiler. But good luck in your endeavors.
Worship the holy trinity that is Blitz, Babes and Beers!
Ok...

So you suggest me to start with C++ instead of VB,knowing that my goal or whatever has to do with VB or BASIC?

[edit] Some say VB.NET is greatly a more powerful language than VB,is that true if so i should go with VB>NET instead of all the rest of the BASICs?[edit]
oh and i noticed that you support Blitz!

Is it really good?Have you tryed other engines?
Your goal was to make a programming language similar to BASIC. C++ allows you to do this, so for your long-term aim its better for you to learn how to use it. Visual Basic doesnt offer nearly as much ability for making compilers and although possible the result would be likely be clumsy and awkward. BASIC offers even less ability than VB and is virtually unusable for anything modern.

EDIT: Yes, I've used Blitz. Check your other post in the Game Programming board for more info.
Worship the holy trinity that is Blitz, Babes and Beers!
VB6 Games Development Tutorials - just thought those might be of interest to you. You'd need to get yourself a copy of the Visual Basic IDE/compiler first though.

- Jason Astle-Adams

You're complicating matters unnecessarily, guys.

Mech_Master, you need to learn to walk before you can run. C++ is not a good choice of language to learn as a first programming language. Any varient of BASIC would be a better choice.

Second, BASIC is usually interpreted rather than compiled. That means that rather than putting the code through a compiler to create an executable program which you then run, when you want to run the program you open it with a BASIC interpreter. The interpreter then reads your program line by line, carrying out the instructions as it finds them. This means no stand-alone .exe file as a result. Well that's how it was when I learned BASIC, although BASIC-type languages are more frequently compiled these days (Visual Basic especially).

By the way, Visual Basic IS a different language from QBASIC or any other kind of BASIC (as well as being Microsoft's version of BASIC).
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
Hey I that he should just start with C++. I mean that will make thing much more simple for him since he seems to be quite confused on stuff having him learn i style of programming and then goto a very different style of programming might not be helpful for him. I say just go out and buy a copy of Visual C++.net 2003, if you have the money, and start programming. you can use Bloodshed IDE is you don't have the money. another plus to learning C++ first is that there is alot of site for help, and Visual basic are not so many.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement