Sign in to follow this  

World collision

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi ! I'm doing a racing game but I have some problem with collision detection and collision response. The world is a big .X file that is partitionned with a octree. I can detect if a collision occur betwen my last position and my new with D3DXIntersect but I don't really know what to do with! In fact I want the wheel of my car to follow the world like we can see in some racing game where the world is not a simple heightmap I read the article "Collision Detection for Games Using Ellipsoids" but I don't know if it is what I should use to make a racing game [rolleyes] So your help is welcome !! Thanks in advance

It seems like your question is more about what method of collision detection to use for a racing game than how to do something in particular using DirectX. You might want to look in the Game Programming forum. This kind of question comes up over there pretty often and I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of help.

neneboricua

I used to be a like you. wanted to code everything myself and reinvent the wheel. I then came to my senses and decided to use a 3rd party physics engine. life is much better. I'm using ODE right now (it's free)

Original: http://ode.org/
Ported to .NET: http://www.thejamesrainenetwork.co.uk/ode/ode.html

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.