If the mesh doesn't change, should VA's be used?

Started by
0 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 1 month ago
I have objects I'm loading in from files. The objects are rather huge, some of them have over 150,000 vertices. I have their vertex normals all calculated and I'm about to put them into VA's and eventually VBO's, but something I read on another recent post makes me question whether I should (beyond the learning experience). The objects' geometry is never morphed. The object is just displayed and is then translated/rotated via keyboard input. I'm using display lists now and with the bigger objects, moving the object can be somewhat choppy. Would VA/VBO's help? I heard they are good for objects with lots of vertices as they allow OpenGL to skip the translation/rotation calculations on the duplicate vertices. But do display lists handle static geometry better somehow and the performance is as good as it will get? Both display lists and VBO's store the vertex information in VRAM, right? Thanks in advance!
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
Advertisement
my advice would be to test and see [smile]

However you'll want to make sure things like fillrate arent effecting the test. The performance pdf in my sig has a page which gives details on how to test for bottlenecks in your code so you can work out what each method is doing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement