Sign in to follow this  

D3DXComputeNormalMap wierdness

This topic is 4667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If you pass in a flat grey texture to D3DXComputeNormalMap() the normal map produced is not flat. Does anyone know why this is or how to get around it? Thanks in advance.

Greetings!

Check the Martin Baker site (eucldian space i think, google it). There are a lot tutorials on normals and 3d math. D3DXComputeNormals is designed to compute smooth not flat normals. Flat normals can be computed easily. Just check the site.

Thanks for that link, I must admit that is a very useful site, although I couldn't really find an answer to my question.

The main problem I have is that I'm trying to create a normal map for a car bonnet, it is generally flat with a small raised area in the middle of it.

Using D3DXComputeNormalMap() the flat areas come out slightly stripy with every other column of pixels a slightly different shade. This creates odd artifacts when the normal map is then used to access a cubic environment map.

This topic is 4667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.