Sign in to follow this  

Loading X files

This topic is 4663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

When loading a .X file using the CD3DMesh class (i.e ->Create..etc), would someone be so kind as to explain how I would go about loading and setting up material data for the mesh so as to change the specular components and such? I appear to have over looked this area :D Thanks, Pete

I dont' have access to the CD3DMesh class source code at the moment so this may not be of much help. BUT, if I remember correctly, the CD3DMesh class has some sort of a LoadMeshFromXFile function. If you use 3d Max (or some other 3d software) to create a mesh with a material, the LoadMeshFromXFile function will import the material data along with everything else. Then it's just a matter of

(not sure of the actual variable names here but you'll find something similar in the class implementation)
Mesh->p_Material.ambient.r= <value >= 1.0f;>
Mesh->p_Material.ambient.g= <value >= 1.0f;>
Mesh->p_Material.ambient.b= <value >= 1.0f;>

The CD3DMesh class is only a sample class and doesn't include functions for every type of operation you may need, but it served as a good starter class for me and I built onto it to suit my needs. Also, the MS samples use different implementations of the sample classes in different samples. I think you'll find a more fully implemented CD3DMesh class in some of the more complicated samples. Try looking at the SkinnedMesh sample. If your CD3DMesh class doesn't have any sort of p_Material variable then you probably copied it from a sample that doesn't use materials.

I hope this was helpful.

This topic is 4663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.