Sign in to follow this  

Static Constructors

This topic is 4665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, this is a CSharp related question. I am relatively new to the language and I was wondering if someone could explain the following to me. I have included the source for a simple little program which I was trying out that has to do with static constructors. I understand the following about static constructors... // IF YOUR CLASS DECLARES A STATIC CONSTRUCTOR, YOU WILL BE // GUARANTEED THAT THE STATIC CONSTRUCTOR WILL RUN BEFORE // ANY INSTANCE OF YOUR CLASS IS CREATED. // YOU ARE NOT ABLE TO CONTROL EXACTLY WHEN A STATIC // CONSTRUCTOR WILL RUN, BUT YOU DO KNOW THAT IT WILL BE AFTER // THE START OF YOUR PROGRAM AND BEFORE THE FIRST INSTANCE IS // CREATED. What bothers me is that since we can't control when a static constructor runs, how does the following line display the current time... Console.WriteLine("HOUR: {0}, MINUTE: {1}, SECOND: {2}", cl_getTime.hour, cl_getTime.minute, cl_getTime.second); An object of the class has not been created, but by referencing the member variables the static constructor is being made to run. I thought it could not be controlled.
//
// readonly FIELDS ALLOW US TO MARK static VALUES AS CONSTANT
//
using System;

public class cl_getTime
{
    // static CONSTRUCTOR
    static cl_getTime()
    {
        // GET THE CURRENT DATE/TIME INFORMATION
        DateTime dt = DateTime.Now;
        hour        = dt.Hour;
        minute      = dt.Minute;
        second      = dt.Second;
    }

//
    // PUBLIC
    //
    public static readonly int hour;
    public static readonly int minute;
    public static readonly int second;
}

public class cl_main
{
    public static int Main()
    {
        // THE CONSTRUCTOR BEING static GETS INVOKED BEFORE AN OBJECT OF THE CLASS IS CREATED.
        // SINCE THE MEMBERS OF THIS CLASS ARE static WE CAN ACCESS THEM WITHOUT CREATING AN
        // OBJECT OF cl_getTime
        Console.WriteLine("HOUR: {0}, MINUTE: {1}, SECOND: {2}", cl_getTime.hour, cl_getTime.minute, cl_getTime.second);

// SINCE THE static FIELDS ARE readonly IF YOU TRY TO CHANGE THEM AS THE FOLLOWING
        // COMMENTED LINE SHOWS, THE COMPILER WILL COMPLAIN
        //cl_getTime.hour = 12;
        return 0;
    }
}

I don't quite see what the problem is (aside from the horrid naming convention). Referencing a member variable causes the static constructor to be run. It could be run a few lines before you check the readonly fields, or it could be run right before you check the readonly fields - that part isn't guaranteed.

Oh, sorry about the naming convention. Hey, different strokes. But all that makes sense, I guess I had a very broad view about how the word "control" was being implied. Thanks.

This topic is 4665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.