Sign in to follow this  

How do I check changes in the Windows Registry?

This topic is 4661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Herro all! I'm writing some unit tests for my little shell-extension (before I upgrade it to v1.1, don't want to break something that works). But I have one problem when testing the registration. As a shell extension, I have to write to the windows registry (and remove on uninstall). My problem is: How do I check "what was changed in the registry"? So I can check if it was correct or not. Cheers!

Um, maybe I'm missing something but can't you just try to read what you just wrote? If you want to check manually you can use regedit.exe.

Do you have some reason to suspect that data won't be written correctly even if you get no errors from the reg api?

The only way I know of is to use a program. What I would suggest is this: Download SPYBOT and set it to monitor your registery. When you run your program and it tries to change the reg, spybot will pop up telling you what area is being changed and if you want to allow it. That's the best and most free way I can think of [smile]

- Drew

You can try Regmon to monitor registry activity. It's probably usable as long as you're not monitoring for too long, otherwise the dump might be too long to be examinable by hand.

Anon Mike, have you ever written a app that writes to the registry? Several keys in several places? Now, have you tried updating your app just to notice later that somethings wrong in the registry now? If not, let me tell you how fun manually checking the registry after each update is: *crawls to the corner and cries* ;) That's why I'm writing Unit Tests, to automaticly do this. Because it isn't fun :( And no, I don't suspect the API functions are wrong: I'm afraid that I'm doing something wrong with it.

mutex, hmm That would be useful for manual debugging. I'll keep it in mind. Oh, it's by Sysinternals! Why didn't I check there?? Their program DebugView is teh bomb! Without it my little program wouldn't be possible.

Drew_Benton, Heh that's just crazy enough to work! :D

RomSteady, aaahh... yes, I was hoping for something like that. I'll try it. Thanx! =)

EDIT: Hey, there seems to be a DIFF thing that comes with windows! Open the prompt and type "fc /?" to learn more :D

[Edited by - Seriema on March 9, 2005 9:48:46 AM]

This topic is 4661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.