opening ports, router connected to router

Started by
4 comments, last by gcs584 19 years, 1 month ago
hi, i recently added another router to the network in my house. so currently i have a router connected to the modem, and then a line running from that router into my room, which plugs into my router.. this router has 2 PC's connected to it (one being the server for my game). originally it was just the one router in my room with the 2 PC's, with the line coming directly into the router. i opened the ports for my game to work and that went fine.. however, how do i open the ports on the "parent" router so it will send packets for my game to the inner router, which will send them to the server? the IP address of the parent router is "192.168.1.1", and the IP for the router connected to the 2 PC's is "192.168.2.1". the former is a linksys router and the latter is a microsoft one. if i go to the routers web page, and try to mess with opening ports, it already has the IP address prefixed as "192.168.1.blank", where i can fill in the blank. however, the child router starts with 192.168.2, so im not sure how i can get this to work.. maybe im missing something obvious here? thanks for any help.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
Advertisement
after talking to a few people, im begining to think this might not be possible... do i need to hook the server up to the first router? this means i need to run 2 lines through my house, which i dont want to do.. surely there must be a way to get this to work?
Hmm...

Do you have a switch at your diposal? That would be a lot easier.

GCS584

[EDIT:] Just thinking about it, wouldn't you have to disable DHCP on the router closest to the server? Hopefully someone else will know.

[2nd EDIT:] I found this Here! Hope it helps!
To get the routers to forward the port 17000 of type TCP.

Would you not just tell the router connected to your pc to send data to the outside address of your second router?

e.g.

ChildRouter (2 PCs on LAN to router on LAN)
192.168.2.111:17000 | 192.168.1.1:17000 | TCP

ParentRouter (LAN to INTERNET)
192.168.2.1:17000 | unspecified:17000 | TCP

Where :
192.168.2.111 = Your pc
192.168.1.1 = your interent router
192.168.2.1 = your insdie computer with 2 pcs connected
unspecified = your WAN IP address (internet)

hope this helps :D
thanks for the replies, especially GCS! the link GCS posted guided me through what i had to do, and its all working now.. thanks again.

Hehe....I'm glad I could help!

By the way, could you possibly PM me my password to your game! It didn't save it when I updated the game. I like trying it out! Username is also gcs584

Thanks,

GCS584

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement