MSVS 6.0?

Started by
3 comments, last by superpig 19 years, 1 month ago
I am just now getting into Game Programming Specifically C++ now my question is should I use MSVS 6.0? That's what I use as my compiler in C, as far as game dev goes is it a common compiler used today? Also I am looking for some good books, books that I can read, enjoy, go back to and feel I haven't wasted a dime on, for Game Deveolpment(Programming) I have googled, I have searched Barnes and Noble & Amazon and I prefer to get input from people that actually do what I do, instead of publishers. Thanks
Advertisement
You want to invest the money in Visual Studio 2003 if you do not want a free compiler such as Dev-CPP or Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta. Visual Studio 6 is just not fit now. There are numerous threads on this topic, so I will refrain from regurgating it all.

As for good programming books...ehh my personal opinion is that I have yet to find one that I really 'enjoyed' and learned something from. I have a whole bunch, but they all seem not to do what they say. Most of everything I learn is from online tutorials. But then again, that's just me. I am home now, so I can't list the ones I have that are noteable, but you should take a look at Game Coding Complete. I liked that one, but do not own it.

- Drew
Most developers are using MSVC.NET 2003(That doesn't imply C++.NET) now.

However, since MSVS.NET 2003 is pretty expensive there are alternate ways. You could get Visual Studio 2005 Express Beta and download the Core SDK(Which includes the compiler) and use that.

I'm currently using MSVC.NET 2003, and I like it. If you want to learn C++ and learn a commonly used tool, go with the VS2005 Express Beta, since it's free.

Toolmaker

I'll do some research on VS 2003, when you said VS 6.0 is not fit what exactly did you mean?
* EDITED: OH MSVS 2003 Duh! I have that free from school, I wrote a few applications in VB.NET. So I can write C++ code in MSVS.NET? Thats kool I'll have to look into that, I was writing it all in 6.0 but now I can change over. So .NET is used a lot?

As far as books go, maybe the word "FUN" wasn't the right word LOL, anyways I got the point. I guess I will go to the store today and just pick out a few that had good ratings online!

I am a C programmer, now I have to do the "BIG" conversion and sorta start all over to convert to C++. If there are any suggestions that would be great!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited: Now if I remeber correctly, when I open MSVS.NET it gives me the option of Visual C++, do I program in that, even though it's not officially "Visual C++"? I don't have it infront of me and may be a few hours before I do. Were is a good link to learn the enviroment, I am on the Microsoft Site searching some material, thanks for any suggestions!
A fair old number of developers are still entrenched in VS6.0 (mainly due to having tools/tech that won't work under newer IDEs), but if you're starting out, run very far away from it. It's five years old now, after all.

You don't have to write .NET-based code in Visual Studio .NET - it may have been written in .NET and it may support .NET, but it doesn't force it upon you. You can still do good old-fashioned unmanaged coding, and many people do. .NET languages like C# are beginning to be picked up for full-scale games development, but they've got a ways to go yet - they're good for tools though.

As for books...

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement