Sign in to follow this  

d3dx9d_24.dll problems...

This topic is 4660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello GameDev, The problem comes from, I started as a basis from the Dx Samples, the new Direct9.0c Feb 2005 updates. Anyways I've built a couple projects, and then I wanted to show some friends, and they came up with this error, that the program I made couldn't find the d3dx9d_24.dll file. This looks to be a debug file, and is possible from the common folders, and/or the dxstdafx.h, however I am clueless why it should be attached to my projects. I have also opened up an OLD version of a project that is built from scratch and it complains about needing the file as well. This seems kinda funky, and wish to figure out how to rid my projects of this file. IT's even stranger because one of the people, I showed my project, has the 2005 feb updates, as well as the sdk, adn the debug versions, but no d3dx9d_24.dll file. I have not included it in the project, file settings of VC++.net I will look through more of my code, but would appreciate some insight into the problem. MikHaven

This seems to be the D3DX library which is (since the February Release of the
SDK afaik) linked as a dll instead of a static lib now. The only way to get
rid of it is not to use any D3DX functions/classes and not to include any d3dx
headers in your project.
However it is strange that your friend hasn't the dll although he has
installed the feb 2005 update - are you sure it is really the feb sdk??

Hope that helps a bit!

Regards Martin

Quote:
Original post by BRooksWackerman
This seems to be the D3DX library which is (since the February Release of the
SDK afaik) linked as a dll instead of a static lib now. The only way to get
rid of it is not to use any D3DX functions/classes and not to include any d3dx
headers in your project.
However it is strange that your friend hasn't the dll although he has
installed the feb 2005 update - are you sure it is really the feb sdk??

Hope that helps a bit!

Regards Martin

Yah that's the strange part, as I was trying to describe, first he said he had the feb update. I am using the D3DxGUI, so I believe that's what I am using.

That's the other thing that bugged me, I have a totally seperate, Editor, I programmed way before the Feb Update, and somehow that exe has that dll linked into it as well, and I am not using any of the D3dX stuff. I wonder how they get the dll in the project, if it's just because of the includes. I bet it has something to do with the dxstdafx.h, I should figure that out, since the Editor might have used that. On double checking the Editor, it doesn't use the dxstdafx.h, so I will have to rethink this thruogh.

MikHaven

p.s. more help on rooting this would be great, especially in the editor, which doesn't use the d3dx. However the project is linked to the dx includes, and libraries, for directx reasons. Which if you had to include the dll just from the library would be REALLY anonying for backwards compatibility issues. I mean I don't even need or care about the update for the edtior. Until I convert it over.

Hm - how do you determine that the editor loads the dll? Are you looking in the Debug Output Window? If yes it could be that the library is loaded because another dll your application is loading requires it. The best method to check which module loads it would be to open your editor's exe file in Dependcy Walker.

Hope that helps you with this "problem"

I'll check on the other one when I'm at work tomorrow because I don't have the Feb SDK installed on my computer.

regards Martin

The short of the answer is I found out, when I went to go show it off at my college, I brought the whole bin folders, and tested the main game, and it failed to load because of the dll, I was unsure if that computer had that dll required. I was great, then I figured I'll run the editor and it crashed with the same problem as well.

I even tried to throw the dll into the main folder, should have tried moving it to the system32 folder just for kicks.

MikHaven

That's a good idea, checking the dll's loaded, since it's easy to look at, thankx.

If/when you reach the point where you want to distribute your app, be aware that you're not allowed to distribute the d3dx DLLs. You can provide the runtime redist that comes with the SDK though.

Quote:
Original post by DrunkenHyena
If/when you reach the point where you want to distribute your app, be aware that you're not allowed to distribute the d3dx DLLs. You can provide the runtime redist that comes with the SDK though.

Thanks for the heads-up, makes it all the more important to rid my project of this dll, which is it's subject.

Quote:
Original post by MikHaven
Quote:
Original post by DrunkenHyena

Thanks for the heads-up, makes it all the more important to rid my project of this dll, which is it's subject.

Getting rid of all D3DX from your project (and hence your dependency on said DLL) is probably overkill. Including the DX installer (and using the DirectXSetup libraries) is a fairly common thing for redistributable packages.

If you're worried about the package size / download times then I think (not 100% sure) that you can use the DX web install over WindowsUpdate so they only have to download DX components that are newer.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.