Sign in to follow this  

First MMORPG

This topic is 4664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am interested in making an MMORPG, i am new to game development and i was wondering whats the best pogram(s) to use? i was thinking of using flash or director with graphics in something like 3d studio max. It will be quite a complex game. Also there will be friends list and an online stat page which i would use php/flash for. Is this a good thing to use?

Quote:
Original post by CrystalMagma
Should i use something like c++ or javascript

I wouldn't recommend javascript. Personally, I would use C++ but I'm sure the OOP hippie squad is on the way to tell you to use Java or C#.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Flash won't cut it. Director might come close (I have seen some games written in it) but I sure as hell wouldn't try.

Director is extremely fit with its built-in 3D engine and network components. The popular 'Habbo Hotel' is a good example of what it is capable of.

Quote:
Original post by Prototype
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Flash won't cut it. Director might come close (I have seen some games written in it) but I sure as hell wouldn't try.

Director is extremely fit with its built-in 3D engine and network components. The popular 'Habbo Hotel' is a good example of what it is capable of.

Well, what I said is that I have seen games made in it, but that I wouldn't try. I didn't say it was particularly unfit for the task.

For an MMORPG, you need C++ for performance and speed reasons. It's as simple as that. Plus you need dedication, skill, some more dedication, and some more skill, and so on. Plus, you better be a absolute network programming genius, or you'll fail quickly, and very quickly.

Quote:
Original post by spunkybuttockszc
For an MMORPG, you need C++ for performance and speed reasons. It's as simple as that. Plus you need dedication, skill, some more dedication, and some more skill, and so on. Plus, you better be a absolute network programming genius, or you'll fail quickly, and very quickly.

Well, not necessarily C++. You can probably get along with a slower language/VM with a smaller game, but after awhile you will want to optimize.

I agree completely with the rest of what you said: You must know networking in and out to succeed, and be able to maintain the service after developing it (read Raduprv's excellent series of articles for more information, the kind of crap he put up with post-ship is insane).

i started working on a 2D MMORPG about a year ago, and am still working on it. i had only been programming for about 4 months and had absolutely no network programming experiance when i started. yes, it might take me another year to "finish", but dont be quick to listen to everyone when they tell you you will fail. hell, people telling me i would fail was one of my #1 motivaters [grin].

This is a pretty huge project to undertake, but you know, it's best to let you find out how huge of a project it really is. Hell, Blizzard recently made their first MMORPG - note the experience they already have in other areas.

Well, good luck either way.

Quote:
Original post by Captain Maple
This is a pretty huge project to undertake, but you know, it's best to let you find out how huge of a project it really is. Hell, Blizzard recently made their first MMORPG - note the experience they already have in other areas.

Note the humongous failure it was for the first three weeks, despite selling like hotcakes covered in crack. Hence, infrastructure and support are both very important.

Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Quote:
Original post by Captain Maple

Note the humongous failure it was for the first three weeks, despite selling like hotcakes covered in crack. Hence, infrastructure and support are both very important.

Agreed.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I'm currently building a MUD, which is basicly an MMORPG, but very simplified and text only.

Working on the MUD is taking alot of time and dedicaction. Like graveyard filla, I'm spending alot of work on the server, making it secure, not easy to exploit and stable. Building a project like this is a huge undertaking, both in coding aspects, and as in design.

You need to think over alot of things and make sure you're 100% sure of your solution. I messed up 2 weeks ago, and spend 3 days changing the architecture.

At the start, I highly under-estimated the amount of time and work a project like this requires. And that's even WITHOUT the time I'm spending on research, such as the scripting system.

If you REALLY want to make an MMORPG, set it as a future goal. Graveyard wrote a bunch of games(and make a few network enabled) and then wrote an offline RPG. When the RPG was done, he modified it to the MMORPG, so he could spend most of the time working on the server.

Toolmaker

May I suggest something? Perhaps you should start with something -much- smaller than an MMORPG.

Roboguy (from GameDev) just posted this in a similar thread.

http://www.roboguy.net/mmorpg.php

If you're new to gamedev, then you should definately start with something like basic 3d or 2d games.

This topic is 4664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.