Manipulating full screen apps?

Started by
2 comments, last by bobbias 19 years, 1 month ago
I'm trying to write a generic program that will bring any fullscreen app (especially those games which disable the alt+enter combo) down to windowed mode. I'm trying to do this for greater flexability, and the simple fact that fullscreen apps stuck in a low resolution really bug people, especially when trying to chat on something like MSN at the same time. I've seen similar things done before (though only for specific games), but so far havent seen any real information on how to do this.
Advertisement
I'd almost think you'd have to override the OpenGL or D3D libraries called by the program, intercept the fullscreen mode calls, and interject your own code in its stead.

It seems like it'd be very, very difficult to do in a general manner. Maybe that's why it's only been done per-program before.
It is possible to change the device initialization structures, but you must find them first. Also, the said structures change between graphics api versions, and OpenGL and D3D inits are - of course - quite different.

It should be noted that the application functionality is likely to break if the rest of the application code expects full-screen mode and it's settings to be in place when, in fact, they are not due your intervention. Game-specific hacks usually take this into account, and modify the game-specific logic to match the new parameters.

EDIT: I'm not going to assist in the project more than this [wink]

Niko Suni

Lol, damn, looks like I'm gonna have one hell of a time with this project.
Well, nowat least I have an idea of what i'm doing, lol, I didnt want to disassemble the program that does it specifically for the one game, and try (keyword try here) to figure out what the hell it's doing.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement