Sign in to follow this  

Should I still set my world matrix, even if i'm not using it?

This topic is 4667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I was wondering if I should bother setting my world matrix, even though I'm not actually using it to move any of my 3d objects. eg D3DXMATRIXA16 matWorld; D3DXMatrixTranslation(&matWorld, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f); d3dDevice->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld); Thanks

If you've already set it once, and it's not changed from the last frame then there's no reason to set it. The default world matrix is the identity matrix, so if you need something else, you'll need to set it at least once.
Also, you're better using D3DXMatrixIdentity(), since that's what it's for.

I meant can I just not even setting it once, to not even call it at all, could that cause any problems?

... I didnt know about the identity matrix, i'll be having quick look at that now.

According to the docs, the default transform matrices are all the identity matrix. The identity matrix is exactly the same as a translation of 0 (what you had). So not setting the world matrix means you'll just have the identity matrix, which means no translation.

So, there's no problem with leaving the line of code out (which is what circlesoft said).

This topic is 4667 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.