Where to start? MMORPG

Started by
48 comments, last by flangazor 19 years, 1 month ago
Whoa! I'm not going into this as being my first project. I've done my research, I know this is one of the hardest projects. I'm not looking to start tomorrow.

I've got 5 years to produce an MMORPG thats at least a semi-hit. I'm going to start with smaller projects first, don't get me wrong. But I just need a bit of guidance on where to start learning to... well, make games. :D So far you all have been really helpful! Thanks!

That brings me with another question though, what exactly should I start with, and then build up to to get to an MMORPG?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
Errrr... Have you ever considered that you may be in over your head here?
*snip*
Quote:Original post by Programmer One
Hey, I have an idea: Don't make a MMORPG.
*snip*
They raise a good point, and if you're reading those articles I linked to, you'll see that everyone agrees - an MMORPG is an incredibly complex project, and although it is entirely possible to succeed if you put in the time and effort, the chances are low that you'll complete anything attempting this as your first project. Most people who attempt it have at least a few years experience first.
Timmy agrees.

I recommend making a Tic Tac Toe game using the console. With that knowledge, you could then make a very nice text-based RPG. To get some ideas stirring, you could have it load all content from XML files so that you could expand the game while you're playing it. MSPRPG!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
MMORPGs are quite possibly the most difficult kind of game to make. And that's just to build them. People who have been there and done that will tell you how many hundreds of manhours they waste on an ineffectual, moronic and angry customer base, often for absolutely no reward.
Quote:Original post by SolarFX
Whoa! I'm not going into this as being my first project. I've done my research, I know this is one of the hardest projects. I'm not looking to start tomorrow.

I've got 5 years to produce an MMORPG thats at least a semi-hit. I'm going to start with smaller projects first, don't get me wrong. But I just need a bit of guidance on where to start learning to... well, make games. :D So far you all have been really helpful! Thanks!

That brings me with another question though, what exactly should I start with, and then build up to to get to an MMORPG?

;)
... ravuya? What a small web! I see your all over the game development world! Hehe.
Ah, that's alright then.

First of all, there's some excellent information to be found here and here on getting started in game development (the focus is on the programming side of things). They have links to some good tutorials, and compilers, etc that you can use.

Now, you'll firstly need to learn your language of choice. For now, I'll just assume C/C++, but the advice translates to most languages as well. To begin with, you need to learn the basics of your chosen language. This unfortunately entails writing a few console mode (ie. text) programs, such as the infamous hello world, and some simple games such as guess the number, hangman, tic-tac-toe, etc - basically a couple of simple things you can represent as text to learn the fundamentals.

From there, you learn basic graphics, using an API such as DirectX, OpenGL or SDL. You should start off with some very simple 2D games - Pong, Breakout, and Snake are common suggestions. These are fairly simple, and don't involve too much code, but contain many similarities to full sized games. After that, you begin learning 3D (unless you want to make a 2D MMORPG of course). At this point, you'll probably want to also do a larger project. Doing a single player RPG is an excellent option at this point - it's still a very complex project, but has a lot of the problems inherrent to the MMO genre removed, while still including a LOT of the features.

By that stage, you'll probably be ready to attempt your MMORPG project. [smile] Along the way, it may be helpful to get one or more books to assist you in learning, as many people find that these include information that may be hard to find in online tutorials, or may explain things a little clearer.

Again, feel free to ask any additional questions.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Astonished! Extremely helpful. I shall ask questions in the future, but I have to jet right now. Server problems. Gah!

I am really grateful for your help, I've been all over the web looking for a start and only gotten replies here and one other place. Thanks. :D
Don't forget the gamedev Multiplayer and Networking FAQ

Particularly item 0:

Quote:The best place to start is here
-Mike
Maybe MUD game programming is worth a look. It has the MMORGP concepts... without time-consuming creation of the bells-and-whistles. If the game play is solid then adding graphics on top as a next version will only be a bonus.

Good luck
Quote:Original post by possom
Maybe MUD game programming is worth a look. It has the MMORGP concepts... without time-consuming creation of the bells-and-whistles. If the game play is solid then adding graphics on top as a next version will only be a bonus.

Good luck

This had completely slipped my mind, but since possum posted it, I'll second it as another excellent potential option. This type of game IS basically an MMORPG, but without graphics.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Quote:Original post by Kazgoroth
Quote:Original post by possom

Good luck

This had completely slipped my mind, but since possum posted it, I'll second it as another excellent potential option. This type of game IS basically an MMORPG, but without graphics.

thirded
-LuctusIn the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move - Douglas Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement