Precalculated Lighting

Started by
-1 comments, last by colt527 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi, here is the scenerio: I have a static .x file containing the vertex and texture information of my map (like usual). I also have the locations of varios lights inside of this level. I had originally used the Direct3D lights, but as I've read many times over that this is probably the worst way to calculate lighting especially on static objects such as levels. So, I'm looking for a better way to render the lighting inside of my level and have read numerous tutorials on the theory behind lightmaps and they seem like the best approach, I can't seem to find any tutorials that take you from the actual point where you create the lightmaps to the point where you render them inside of your scene. Does this type of tutorial exist? Or are there some tutorials that explain the steps of calculating the lightmap information yourself? Just any information that goes deaper then just the theory of lightmaps and into the implementation would help. If lightmapping turns out to be over my head, I have a simple lighting equation that would just precalculate the shade of each vertex based on if the lights are facing it. This method would give pretty poor results though, because it would be limited to the quality of per vertex lighting. Thanks for the help.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement