Sign in to follow this  

Atomic Ball Beta 9 (breakout type game)

This topic is 4664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I think I'm getting this thing done... Here's beta 9, and unlike the last beta 'zip' files, this one is packed into its own installer! Atomic Ball Beta 9 For those of you that don't know about Atomic Ball, it used to be called 'Atomic Pong' but it's not a 'pong' game, it's a 'breakout' game. This beta is up to 20 levels, and also has a bonus level after every 5 levels (total of 25 levels to play!). It's written in C++ and DirectX, so it's a Windows-only game. The ball animations are glassy smooth, and there's a lot of options for video, audio, and controller configurations. The installer is pretty much just that; doubleclick 'AtomicBallBeta_09.exe' and follow the prompts, and VERY soon you're playing the game! Once you get bored, or you need the harddrive space, the installer also has an uninstaller. :) Lemme know if you find any bugs, and thanks for helping me to test out Atomic Ball!

Pretty good game. It's a lot like DX-Ball 2 which is awesome. There are some weird collision issues some times and the paddle may funk up (that just might be my computer though), but otherwise nice game. Oh, and shooting lasers and having them bounce off objects was cool, but whenever I that I think the lasers destroyed my ball.

Thanks for the feedback, link3333!

In the level where the lasers bounced around (Bullet Bonanza), if a bullet ricochets and hits your paddle, then it destroys your paddle and all the balls in play explode... I've gotten quite a few complaints about that. I might change that if I can't make it more obvious that the bullet hitting the paddle is actually what's ending that level. But you might play that level again and dodge the bullets if they bounce back toward your paddle, because it's definitely a challenging level!

Also, thanks for the input about the collision detection. Last night I completely rewrote the ball-block movement code and integrated it with the collision detection code into a single function and now the collision detection is absolutely awesome! The ball no longer registers more than one hit when colliding with a moving block, the ball no longer gets hung up in a moving invincible block and then explodes, and the balls always bounce off the blocks in the bonus rounds instead of sometimes passing through them. Pretty cool stuff!

Hopefully I'll have Beta 10 done soon, then you can see how the new collision/movement code works for you. On my computer, I no longer get any collision errors at all! Also, hopefully I'll have a better routine for indicating that a bullet destroyed the paddle (instead of it looking like a bullet destroyed a ball)... Wish me luck!

Thanks again for the info, I really appreciate it!

Sign in to follow this