Sign in to follow this  

a difficult question about the syntax of C++ pointers

This topic is 4662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Let me describe the problem. I have a piece of code that requires me to alter the address of one of 2 pointers that both point to the same class type. I have to select at runtime which pointer it is that will be manipulated depending on an input bool variable to the function. So i create a pointer to pointer variable in the function and then just point it to the appropriate pointer like so. Object** pList; if( bStatObj ) pList = &m_pStatObjList; else pList = &m_pDynObjList; Using this i can manipulate what either of the other 2 pointers point to like this: *pList = pObject; What i would like to know is if it is possible to manipulate the contents of pObject using pList??? I tried the following and the compiler returns an error saying 'the left side of m_fMember requires class/union/struct.' *pList->m_fMember = 2.0; Thanks in advance for your time and effort ;p

Guest Anonymous Poster
try (*pList)->m_fMember
or **pList.m_fMember

Quote:
Original post by bobbinus
*pList->m_fMember = 2.0;

You've almost got it. -> has a higher precedence than *. Add some brackets and it'll work:
(*pList)->m_fMember = 2.0;

Thanks a lot for those responses ;p

Just tried what u suggested and it works fine. Also reminded me that I knew that once and totally forgot about it!

BTW the second syntax Anonymous suggested returned the same error.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I believe you have to do this if you want to use the reference, as the second method Anonymous was trying to do.

*(*pList).m_fMember

(if not that, then "(*(*pList)).m_fMember")

David

This topic is 4662 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.