Sign in to follow this  

slowdown from 85 to 42 FPS by adding 24 triangles

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi. I'm writing engine for my RPG game. Since now, it's been all good. I've rendered single mesh of a level architecture (walls, floor + ceiling - from inside), and it has reached 85 FPS (no slows). But then, i added 1 mesh - door (simple, textured box) with animation. And now, when I look at the 'door' from some angles, FPS drops down to 42 FPS. Why? Can it be z-buffer performance fault? Please help. I can send you test program via e-mail, so you can see what I'm talking about - just give me your e-mail. I'm testing on AMD Duron 800, nVidia Vanta 32MB (GPU codename NV5), 128MB SDR, ECS K7S5AL. Should I consider changing 3D API from D3D to OGL? If you can help me, please, do so. Thanks. (Sorry for my poor english - I'm from Poland)

I'm pretty sure you've got vsync enabled and your monitors refresh rate is set to 85 Hz. If you hit some workload and you'd fall below 85 Hz the rate get's halved (manage to show a frame every two screen updates).

Try to change the presentation parameter FullScreen_PresentationInterval to D3DPRESENT_INTERVAL_IMMEDIATE (in DX8).

Endurion: yes, that's true - I,m running in 85Hz. I must check, but I think you're right. Anyway, thank you very much - your answer/advice is the first one with some sense (all other blame my nVidia for this slowdown).

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.