Sign in to follow this  

[web] Netscape is driving me crazy!

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello people, I have been doing some work for a company lately, and I am using javascript a bit. Since I am a bit rusty, well, I enjoy having some sort of reference. Devguru have a series of very nice reference sheets, but I enjoy having the _official_ reference, you know. So anyway, I google it up, and sure enough, it's still on Netscape. Yeah, except it's not. So where the *#@_ are the officialy javascript reference papers? Or are the old ones still the standard? I am confused... thanks for your [help]

As far as I know there is no javascript standard. The standard version of javascript is called ECMAscript. This standard is only about the basic scripting language, DOM is also very important when using javascript in HTML pages.

well, from what I understand, and my experience of it, ECMA 262 is the _standard_ and then Microsoft and Netscape have their own versions of it... as usual.
And so when I look up say, "javascript reference" in google, I always end up with Netscape. And so I should since that's what I was looking for.
Except that the only document I can get from Netscape is, according to them, obsolete. So they point you to the new version... which can't be found!
No devedge.netscape.com, no developer.netscape.com ... so where did it all go?
I read through the previous posts and nobody seems to have asked this question.
Am I missing something here?

well, I did bother, and the links you provided (thanks, anyway) are not what I am looking for.
Can _you_ access the javascript reference I am talking about that get listed on google if you look for them?
Cos that's what I am looking for.

Oh, and I know LYIT sucks, but I dont care much since I am French and all I needed to know I learnt back home. I'm just here for the craic [razz]

And possibly become a lecturer, because, God almighty the lecturers really suck... 4th year _lecturers_ that dont even know Pythagoras. Ha!

Ah, I think I didn't make it clear that I _do_ in fact, know javascript. And I also know how to use Google to great effect.
I thank you for the reference you gave me, lads.

But it doesn't answer my question, which is "why doesn't Netscape have the reference anymore? Where did it go?".

Sorry if I wasn't very clear, it's just driving me nuts to get a search result that points to a non existing link. It's even _more_ frustrating when the Netscape website itself points you to said reference, and it's a dead link...

Anger...rising [flaming]

Quote:
Original post by ahw
Oh, and I know LYIT sucks, but I dont care much since I am French and all I needed to know I learnt back home. I'm just here for the craic [razz]

And possibly become a lecturer, because, God almighty the lecturers really suck... 4th year _lecturers_ that dont even know Pythagoras. Ha!

Yes crap lecturer are at WIT too, but come you're in the middle of Donegal! Plus this guy in my class used to be there and said it sucked. Anyway, Peace Man, college rivalry aside!

I don't know if you mean this:

Core javascript Guide

or this

javascript Guide for javascript 1.1

The link to the reference doesn't work on the above.

Good man, yeah, that's the stuff I am on about.
And if you check out the second link (notice it's on Netscape server, right).
The first line you read is:
Quote:

This manual is out of date. It is the javascript Guide for javascript 1.1; that is, javascript as used by Navigator 3.x. The current manuals are the new javascript Guide and javascript Reference.

Now, I point and click on the Guide, or Reference, and *poof* nothing.

WTF o_O ?

(and I might be in Donegal, but we haven't had a drop of rain in the last 2 or 3 weeks, whene everybody else is covered in snow... for a change [wink])

Quote:
Original post by ahw
Good man, yeah, that's the stuff I am on about.
Quote:

This manual is out of date. It is the javascript Guide for javascript 1.1; that is, javascript as used by Navigator 3.x. The current manuals are the new javascript Guide and javascript Reference.

WTF o_O ?

It's been like that with the dead links for the past four years. Most people agree that current javascript books and docs are crap. I know programming in javascript is a bitch, but i reckon the source code to mozilla's SpiderMonkey is probably the best source [wink] if you really need to get nitty gritty. The above aorks for me anyway.

javascript itself is standard enough, the problem is that the DOMs vary considerably between browsers.

Yes - Netscape's doc is good for old stuff (the so-called "DOM0" functionality, which was never part of any standard).

Mozilla's is good for the newer stuff - some is Moz specific though (especially the way events are handled).

The way events are handled is only superficially similar between IE and Mozilla, it's really completely different. So you really need both the Microsoft documentation and Mozilla's.

Mark

Quote:

WTF o_O ?

Netscape has been using the Gecko rendering engine since Netscape 6 or so. Guess who maintains Gecko....

drumrol.....

Mozilla! Ergo, the link that pkelly83 gave you (Mozilla DOM ref) is the official reference for Netscape scripting.

[Edited by - Sander on March 9, 2005 4:50:41 PM]

Aw right, cheers guys, at least that clears it up.
Last time I was using that much javascript was 8 years ago, so you'll forgive me if I didn't keep up with the times, eh [embarrass]
I was just hoping I could get a nice little downloadable file like I got for HTML and the CSS, so I could work at home. Guess I'll just have to find another way [depressed]

This topic is 4666 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.