[web] Netscape is driving me crazy!

Started by
13 comments, last by ahw 19 years, 1 month ago
Hello people, I have been doing some work for a company lately, and I am using &#106avascript a bit. Since I am a bit rusty, well, I enjoy having some sort of reference. Devguru have a series of very nice reference sheets, but I enjoy having the _official_ reference, you know. So anyway, I google it up, and sure enough, it's still on Netscape. Yeah, except it's not. So where the *#@_ are the officialy &#106avascript reference papers? Or are the old ones still the standard? I am confused... thanks for your [help]
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
As far as I know there is no &#106avascript standard. The standard version of &#106avascript is called <a href="http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm">ECMAscript</a>. This standard is &#111;nly about the basic scripting language, <a href="http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/REC-DOM-Level-2-Core-20001113/">DOM</a> is also very important when using &#106avascript in HTML pages.
well, from what I understand, and my experience of it, ECMA 262 is the _standard_ and then Microsoft and Netscape have their own versions of it... as usual.
And so when I look up say, "&#106avascript reference" in google, I always end up with Netscape. And so I should since that's what I was looking for.
Except that the only document I can get from Netscape is, according to them, obsolete. So they point you to the new version... which can't be found!
No devedge.netscape.com, no developer.netscape.com ... so where did it all go?
I read through the previous posts and nobody seems to have asked this question.
Am I missing something here?
W3Schools: This is a good general reference

Mozilla DOM: Mozilla DOM Ref this is best I find, even for IE.

Also if you had bothered to [google] you would have found both of the above.

Google 1

Google 2

EDIT - Letterkenny IT Sucks.
well, I did bother, and the links you provided (thanks, anyway) are not what I am looking for.
Can _you_ access the &#106avascript reference I am talking about that get listed on google if you look for them?
Cos that's what I am looking for.

Oh, and I know LYIT sucks, but I dont care much since I am French and all I needed to know I learnt back home. I'm just here for the craic [razz]

And possibly become a lecturer, because, God almighty the lecturers really suck... 4th year _lecturers_ that dont even know Pythagoras. Ha!
w3schools as afore mentioned by pkelly83
Ah, I think I didn't make it clear that I _do_ in fact, know &#106avascript. And I also know how to use Google to great effect.<br>I thank you for the reference you gave me, lads.<br><br>But it doesn't answer my question, which is "why doesn't Netscape have the reference anymore? Where did it go?".<br><br>Sorry if I wasn't very clear, it's just driving me nuts to get a search result that points to a non existing link. It's even _more_ frustrating when the Netscape website itself points you to said reference, and it's a dead link...<br><br>Anger...rising [flaming]
Quote:Original post by ahw
Oh, and I know LYIT sucks, but I dont care much since I am French and all I needed to know I learnt back home. I'm just here for the craic [razz]

And possibly become a lecturer, because, God almighty the lecturers really suck... 4th year _lecturers_ that dont even know Pythagoras. Ha!

Yes crap lecturer are at WIT too, but come you're in the middle of Donegal! Plus this guy in my class used to be there and said it sucked. Anyway, Peace Man, college rivalry aside!

I don't know if you mean this:

Core &#106avascript Guide

or this

&#106avascript Guide for &#106avascript 1.1</A><br><br>The link to the reference doesn't work &#111;n the above.
Good man, yeah, that's the stuff I am on about.
And if you check out the second link (notice it's on Netscape server, right).
The first line you read is:
Quote:
This manual is out of date. It is the &#106avascript Guide for &#106avascript 1.1; that is, &#106avascript as used by Navigator 3.x. The current manuals are the new &#106avascript Guide and &#106avascript Reference. <br><!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>Now, I point and click &#111;n the Guide, or <a href="http://developer.netscape.com/library/documentation/communicator/jsref/index.htm">Reference</a>, and *poof* nothing.<br><br>WTF o_O ?<br><br>(and I might be in Donegal, but we haven't had a drop of rain in the last 2 or 3 weeks, whene everybody else is covered in snow... for a change [wink])
Quote:Original post by ahw
Good man, yeah, that's the stuff I am on about.
Quote:
This manual is out of date. It is the &#106avascript Guide for &#106avascript 1.1; that is, &#106avascript as used by Navigator 3.x. The current manuals are the new &#106avascript Guide and &#106avascript Reference. <br><!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br>Now, I point and click &#111;n the Guide, or <a href="http://developer.netscape.com/library/documentation/communicator/jsref/index.htm">Reference</a>, and *poof* nothing.<br><br>WTF o_O ?<!--QUOTE--></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE><!--/QUOTE--><!--ENDQUOTE--><br><br>It's been like that with the dead links for the past four years. Most people agree that current &#106avascript books and docs are crap. I know programming in &#106avascript is a bitch, but i reckon the source code to mozilla's SpiderMonkey is probably the best source [wink] if you really need to get nitty gritty. The above aorks for me anyway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement