FastLoad Textures

Started by
4 comments, last by Daniel Lee 19 years, 1 month ago
Hi, I have been working with an terrain test, and ahve been using a 2048*2048 image for the map.. but I load it like a jpg file and it takes a long time to load it.. what format or method can be better/faster to load so big files? hope anyone can point me somewere. [Edited by - X5-Programmer on March 9, 2005 11:03:03 AM]
-[ thx ]-
Advertisement
Load images as fast as possible involves finding a format that can be decoded with the same speed as you can do io. Memory mapped files is one easy way to parallelize loading/decoding. So the optimum format depends largely on the intended storage medium. And since JPEG is to slow I can only assume that you're cpu bound and need to find a less complex format.

Hardware texture compression and vector quantization seems like a good choices, especially since they allow you to keep the images in a compressed form in memory. But something as easy as storing raw images in a reduced bit depth could be enough.
Maybe start loading _before_ you need it - it predict when it's
probable you need it and already start loading it async.
visit my website at www.kalmiya.com
I try to load bmp files insted and it speeds up like 30% from jpg files.. but the file are like 12mb insted of 1mb :S

how about TGA or DDS?
-[ thx ]-
perhaps use a compressed texture 1/4 of the data
i am looking for a ready-made utility to convert my image files to a character-based array file for use by GLUT wrt Mark Kilgard's book. Please provide the utility if you have it.
Else is there some other simply way to load an image onto an object in openGL.

thanks.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement