Sign in to follow this  

cell phone game dev

This topic is 4665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi, I'm thinking of getting either a samsung d500 or a sony ericsson s700i. Aside from which one to get, I was wondering whether development is possible without actually owning the phone in question via emulated phones on a PC. Is this possible? if so where can I find such emulators? I've tried googling it but with no luck :( Cheers

Yes, development is possible without owning a mobile phone. Though I don't actually make mobile phone games (at least not yet) I was flipping through the pages of a book on this subject. Apparently the J2ME SDK comes with plenty of emulators for different phones; that is, if you decide to use J2ME instead of Brew or whatever else is out there. I think that there is a OpenGL (ES maybe the name I can't remember) API that they are using for mobile phone development now also. Anyway, this seems like a very interesting subject and I hope this helps. Oh, and by the way here is the book I was looking at From Amazon .
You should check it out at your local book store if you are interested in developing mobile phone games seriously.

-Jake

the emulators comes with the sdks,

the samsung d500 uses j2me midp 2.0, which u can get the basic sdk from sun, but usualy the companies have their own sdk whichs comes with all the extra classes that the cellphone have(this true for motorolla and nokias that were the ones that i have developed with j2me for, never tried a samsung or a ericsson though)

and yes is possible dev using only the emulaors that comes with those sdks, but they perform totaly different from the real machine so its hard to do anything that need full performance only from emu, also cellphone differ vastly inperformance so is also hard to dev basing in a single cellphone

This topic is 4665 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.