Sign in to follow this  

Noob Help

This topic is 4663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am making my own game, its in infant stages right now, but it will eventually be an action adventure game. Sooner rather than later I want to make it a game that plays across the internet. I have not yet begun to code the net portion of the program, I want to gather information first. From what I have read I want to use a network topology that uses a server rather than peer to peer. Beyond that I only have a vague idea of what to do… 1)I am thinking of having the server run Linux and use directPlay as the client, but I don’t know how difficult that would be or even if its possible. 2)Is there a tutorial or steps of configuring a Linux box to act as the server, with only the very essential ports open. 3)Has anyone had any experience with directPlay voice? It seems like an interesting concept but I am not sure how it pans out.

DirectPlay uses a proprietary protocol and as far as I know there is no Linux port (not officially anyway, somebody may have reversed engineered it). If you want to interop with non-Windows platforms don't use DirectPlay.

Hello Aiursrage2k,

I'm going to have to agree with Anon Mike on this one. You can't run DirectPlay on Linux because it's in the "Direct" family which is microsoft's baby. However, you never know who's modified what for where, so maybe you or someone know something I don't.

If you still want help thinking of a structure/model design for your network game, you'll have to be a little less vague with your requirements.

TCP or UDP?
How many players are you expecting?
What would the traffic be like?
You mentioned you wanted a server-client structure already, but you might still want to consider peer to peer?

I think those are all the main things. Once you define those, then you'll have a better idea of what type of networking model to use.

Hi,

I'm going to fill-in for graveyard filla since he hasn't posted. I know what he would post: "I recommend RakNet. It has great examples/tutorials. It's relatively easy to use."

In all seriousness. It is a great networking library. Check it out!

GCS584

That RakNet seems like a good solution.

I think my game will use UDP for its transfer method, since it will be an action game the combat should be smooth. I do not want to have to wait for everyone to finish loading before they can play.

For the number of players: it would be played in groups of up to four (most reminiscent of arcade games), but allow for up to 1024 players on the server. I choose 1024 as an arbitary number, it seems high enough to not be maxed out, there is enough room for growth, but small enough that I think one server should be able to handle it.

How does this sound:
To use a server and peer to peer model (where one client is the host). The server then simply acts as a shuttle bay to launch the games.

->Each client is connected to the Host (which is itself a client).
->Each client maintains a connection to the server until they log out

If you are using a server just to launch games (and I would assume do some sort of chatting) then you should probably just use a TCP connection from client to server. It'll save you from many headaches and will generally stay connected while the client is playing their game.

Small p2p udp models are fairly common if you don't want to use a library, just google around for them if you haven’t already.

You'll need to do UDP on the server anyway if you want to use it as an introducer, so that peer-to-peer communication will work through most home routers. For more details, see my article in Game Programming Gems 5, just out! (shameless plug :-)

Or go to my older web page.

This topic is 4663 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.