Visual Studio and Environment Variables

Started by
0 comments, last by Mercury 19 years, 1 month ago
I haven't played much with using external environment variables as variables within the VC++ 6 IDE. The problem I'm running into is that I'm trying to fragment together a busted SDK for an application that is distributed with a piece of hardware. There is almost no documentation on it and very little relevant commenting in the code. The additional include paths and various other command line options for compiling contain "$(dxsdk)" environment variable. Atleast, that's what I'm assuming it is from the compile error that is generated when I try to compile the application.

--------------------Configuration: DemoApp - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
StdAfx.cpp

DemoApp.exe - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
The following environment variables were not found
$(dxsdk)
Is anyone familiar with these features of Visual Studio? I tried adding the variable to the environment variables of the machine, but that didn't seem to take. I tried replacing all the variables with absolute paths, but that seems to be causing some other issues. If anyone can help me out with this, I'd really appreciate it.

I know only that which I know, but I do not know what I know.
Advertisement
In your header paths, get rid of the variable and just give it the full path to the DirectX SDK. If you don't have it, you can get it here. If you don't, that'd explain why you're have problems. Also, if you don't have the SDK, make sure you're using the same SDK version as the application. (Assuming the application isn't yours, of course)
Quote:Original post by Daishi
I tried replacing all the variables with absolute paths, but that seems to be causing some other issues.

Please post the problems you're getting while doing this. I believe that should give you what you want.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement