Sign in to follow this  

Introducing #graphicsdev

This topic is 4635 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I just wanted to inform everyone about a new IRC channel on the AfterNET server. #graphicsdev was created to be a meeting place for graphics gurus and enthusiasts. You can check out the official site here here. If you need some help with something graphics related or just feel like discussing some graphics theory, feel free to stop by and talk. The logs of worthwhile conversations are stored and will be made available on the aforementioned web site. You say you don't have an IRC client? You can use the GDNet chat client quite easily. Just click here, and type '/join #graphicsdev' (without the quotes). We also ask that you chose a more meaningful user name, which you can easily do by typing '/nick yourNameHere' (without the quotes). You will find that many prominent members of this community already frequent the channel. We look forward to working alongside this forum to help spread knowledge and understanding of graphics programming and theory throughout this community.

Quote:
Original post by MustEatYemen
New? Hasn't this been up for several months?

Well we've been under the radar for a little while, in order to get neatly settled before inviting the masses in [smile]

I tried to join the room but GDNet chat clint can not eatablish the connection to java.afternet.org on port 6,667. Could any body tell me why I can not get connected. I have installed Java(TM)2 platform software.

thanks for any help.

Hi,
I'm having a problem to the chat room, when I click the "GDNet Chat Network" link , I get this message : Couldn't establish connectiob to java.afternet.org on port 6667". i have installed Sub Microsystems java runtime but still the same problem. Could ant body pls help me to fix this problem.

thanx.

Quote:
Original post by froten_140
Hi,
I'm having a problem to the chat room, when I click the "GDNet Chat Network" link , I get this message : Couldn't establish connectiob to java.afternet.org on port 6667". i have installed Sub Microsystems java runtime but still the same problem. Could ant body pls help me to fix this problem.

thanx.
It means you're unable to connect to the AfterNET network. It could mean two things:

a) AfterNET's being flaky. It's been a bit unstable lately, so this might be the case - the usual solution is to try again a few minutes later.
b) Your connection is being blocked by something at your end, e.g. a firewall. If you're not in control of your firewall you'll have to have a word with your network administrator and persuade him or her to open up port 6667 for outgoing connections...

[edit: hey, I thought you looked familiar.]

It's been nearly a month since the public announcement of #graphicsdev. We have really seen a huge response from the community. Thanks for your interest and continued support.

Many of the most knowledgeable people from this forum now frequent the channel.

I'm sure you've all read posts by at least some of the following people which all frequent #graphicsdev:
Superpig, kSquared, snk_kid, Promit, benryves, circlesoft, Monder, Washu, _the_phantom_, vertexnormal, mittens, Cypher19, Dtag, moopy, rept, prefect, Assassin, or myself.

We also have special guests on occasion. We've had people from nVidia and ATI, as well as many prominent game development studios. YannL has also made an appearance once or twice. You never know who you're really talking to in #graphicsdev, and that's probably why I personally like it so much. There are many intelligent people sharing their thoughts and views on many different aspects of games and graphics.

I encourage those of you who are newer to graphics developement to join and listen in on our conversations. This community has never had such a focused group of intelligent individuals so easily accessible and willing to help. Take advantage of it. Hope to see you all there soon.

This topic is 4635 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.