Sign in to follow this  

(= The Good Ol' Days =) (Download inside)

This topic is 4661 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm so happy. I just found an old backup cd I made almost exactly 4 years ago. The writing says: "February 16th 2001" :D And guess what I found on it! An old Arcade game I used to code back in the days of DirectDraw. It's kinda R-Typish. So I twiddled around with the code a bit to make it compile with The DirectX 9 December Update (You know this was written in DirectX 6) *LOL* And Here it is: Download me!!! Controls: Arrows - Move Space Bar - Shoot 1 - Laser 2 - Plasma Fire Balls 3 - The Electro Gun (this is my favorite) ;) 4 - Megablast (Destroys everything on screen if your energy is full) GFX, SFX, Code all done by myself. Let me know if it runs on your system. Everything was so good then - we used to code just for the fun of it *cries* :P

Well it's only 4 ys ago, that's not so long ago..
I had problems with the colors, they were a bit weird, for the rest: entertaining.. lol.

Wowzas that's great!
Damn good game - What with the enemys & the shooting & the weapons & the upgrades & the electrogun.
That game deservers completing.
Real great piece of work.
But I know how hard it can be looking back @ old code & finding that your whole style has changed & you have to rewrite the whole thing anyway to continue :/ & directdraw being gone & it being in a palette screenmode (Probally why you thought the colours were funny Marmin - you'll need to enable 256 colour compatability mode I suspect (properties))
Shame. damn nice piece of work. But if you did that 4 years ago what must you be doing now? hehe.
You've got not excuse now, you should be producing amazing work (well I suppose life can get in the way :/ Okay I'll let you off)

Well thumbs up from me. good stuff :]

Thanks for even trying it! :)

Quote:
Well it's only 4 ys ago, that's not so long ago..
I had problems with the colors, they were a bit weird, for the rest: entertaining.. lol.

4 years is not so long ago? I was 17! Or did you just comment my
pseudo-poem at the end of the post? ;)

Quote:
But I know how hard it can be looking back @ old code & finding that your whole style has changed

Absolutely true! :) When I loaded the source code I was like: "What the... I coded this??" No OOP at all. Some .h files with source code in them. (I don't even remember why I should have done this...) Globals, Globals, Globals. Everything hardcoded. :) What a piece of junk.

Quote:
Shame. damn nice piece of work. But if you did that 4 years ago what must you be doing now? hehe.
You've got not excuse now, you should be producing amazing work...

Thanks for appreciating. Well I'm reprogramming my 3D Engine since my old one got killed by a harddisk accident :/ And I'm programing for a friend who is studying at the games-academy here in Berlin. Once that game gets out. It will be the r0xx0rs. ;)

The game runs *far* too fast. :D Don't know why, my computer is five years old or so... ;)

It's sure nice to find old backup cds. I wish I would have made some before my harddrive broke. :-(

Quote:
Original post by Matthias Lange
The game runs *far* too fast. :D Don't know why, my computer is five years old or so... ;)

It's sure nice to find old backup cds. I wish I would have made some before my harddrive broke. :-(

Yes I tried it at a friend's PC today and he has the same problem. Don't know why that is though...
I used GetTickCount() to achieve framerate independent movement, I'm sure.
Hm I'm actually thinking of taking the gfx and port it to D3D9 with shaders and BIIIIIG explosion effects... hehe :)

*Grabs Madhed by the shoulders & shakes him*
DO IT! Do it now! hehe j/k don't take on too much @ once ;]
Well thanks for reminding me what it was like & what it was all about back then
It would be lovely to see a completed game housing those graphics though :]
If & when you do decide to do it though, try not to be too "new". I like it the just the way it is.

All the best ;]

Ahh nostalgia ain't what it used to be..

Okay I figured out what the problem was... Please enable VSYNC in your driver settings. :D
For some reason the game runs way too fast if you don't enable it although it shouldn't. The code is just too damn old... It seems to be written in a strange dialect which I don't understand anymore... *LOL*

I will upload the source code when I'm back home.

Oh well, post your score after finishing the "LEVEL"
Mine is: 31300

Cyall

PS: Rating++ for ProPuke because he likes the game so much *hahaha* ;)

Sign in to follow this