how to model a pice of cotton?

Started by
5 comments, last by hillbilly 19 years, 1 month ago
hi guys! I want to create a 3D cotton model, but I have no idea about it, and I need implement this by coding instead of any 3D modeling tools,I don't konw how to make the soft, white, downy fibers, considering the need of fast rendering speed,I think I can't draw the thousands of fibers one by one. Any algorithm or hint is welcome. thank you very much!
Advertisement
A densely connected spring mesh with a high damping factor should suffice for animation. As for rendering, any recent fur shader should be sufficient (especially since a lot of fur shaders tend to make things look like they're covered in cotton balls [wink]).
If performance is your major concern then it may be worthwhile looking into image based rendering methods. These include methods such as billboards, imposters and slicing.
Quote:Original post by SmooJ
If performance is your major concern then it may be worthwhile looking into image based rendering methods. These include methods such as billboards, imposters and slicing.

thank you for your detailed directions, SmooJ, but reality is also necessary, I've add these URLs to my Favorite, I think it will be helpful in another of my project.:)
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
A densely connected spring mesh with a high damping factor should suffice for animation. As for rendering, any recent fur shader should be sufficient (especially since a lot of fur shaders tend to make things look like they're covered in cotton balls [wink]).

hi, Snefetel, I'm intersted to what you say about animation and rendering, because what i'm doing is mimicing the whole period of an growing procedure of a cotton, so animation and rendering are all indispensable.

but I still have one qustion:
Is the Fur Shader embeded in Opengl or DirectX? I am using Java3D, I can't find any classes or method to implement fur shader. should I write this effect by myself?

thanks a lot!
Quote:Original post by hillbilly
hi, Snefetel, I'm intersted to what you say about animation and rendering, because what i'm doing is mimicing the whole period of an growing procedure of a cotton, so animation and rendering are all indispensable.
What do you mean by "growing procedure of a cotton"? The manufacturing of a cotton ball? A cotton boll growing in a field?

Quote:Is the Fur Shader embeded in Opengl or DirectX? I am using Java3D, I can't find any classes or method to implement fur shader. should I write this effect by myself?
Well, you implement it as a fragment shader, using the standard shader methods for your toolkit. Code for a fur shader should be available online; do a websearch. I know there's a fur shader included as one of the examples in RenderMonkey.
Quote:Original post by SneftelWhat do you mean by "growing procedure of a cotton"? The manufacturing of a cotton ball? A cotton boll growing in a field?

not really, the cotton ball is just one of the organs of the plant, I'm also interested in a new breed like that:D.

Quote:
Well, you implement it as a fragment shader, using the standard shader methods for your toolkit. Code for a fur shader should be available online; do a websearch. I know there's a fur shader included as one of the examples in RenderMonkey.

thank you! warm-hearted guy!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement