Sign in to follow this  

phone compatibility: PNG transparency

This topic is 4657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Anyone knows the proper saving of the PNG-8 and PNG-24 transparent images in order to use it on the phone as is it is in the photoshop. - PNG-8 doesn't recognized the color, that has lighter opacity, unlike PNG-24. - on the phone, PNG-24 has smoother edges than of PNG-8. - some phones doesn't recognize PNG-24 transparency.. why? can anyone give me a brief clarification on these? thanks in advance.

Quote:
Original post by chap
- PNG-8 doesn't recognized the color, that has lighter opacity, unlike PNG-24.

PNG 8 does support transparency, I have saved 4-bit per plane images that transparency worked, at least on Nokia phones. I know some phone only support transparency on 24 bit images

Quote:
Original post by chap
- on the phone, PNG-24 has smoother edges than of PNG-8.

Thats the same as on a PC too. 24bit can gradually fade to alpha.

Quote:
Original post by chap
- some phones doesn't recognize PNG-24 transparency.. why?

Becaus they made it that way. Phone designers don't think like game developers, which is annoying I know, but somethingwe all have to put up with.

Oh yeah, why the hell are you using photoshop to make phone images, its oover the top. Photoshop is a large end image editor designed for huge images, you should really be using a dedicated sprite editor.

When exporting the PNG files from Photoshop, I use the File-Save for Web menu option that allows you to specify a lot of options on how you want the file exported.
If space is important (as it should be on a phone!) Pngcrush might be of use to you.

Quote:
Original post by chap
are there specific image editor used mainly for mobile phones.

Not really, was thinking of writing one myself that could adapt to things like 16 bit and 12 bit colour automaticaly. Just look for "Sprite Editor" in google.

I use what ben does M&$ paint crap, the tidy it up in GIMP.

Some people use this:

Graphics Gale

PNG-8 CAN gradually fade opaque to transparent; whether the phone will handle it properly is another matter. Look up the PNG standard and how the tRNS chunk works; effectively, it specifies an alpha value associated with each palette index.

This topic is 4657 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.