[web] Hourly pay...

Started by
7 comments, last by dnagcat 19 years, 1 month ago
For the summer I am planning on working with a team of developers on Oregon.com, and the site owner wants to know how much of an hourly wage I was hoping to make... what is the normal hourly rate for ASP web development? I'd hate to be taken advantage of, or worse yet scare the guy away from me... Thanks!
BRING BACK THE BLACK (or at least something darker)
Advertisement
ASP/ASPX dev work you should charge $45-$60 per hour.
Well, take a look at these rates and you be the judge. I'd say a little more than that though. However, asking for $45-$60 per hour is a little extreme to me, unless you are a topmost professional that has a lot to show them why they should pay you that much. But then again look at these rates. I think it will be more of a 'gut' feeling.
Thanks you guys... $20 it is....
Quote:Original post by H_o_p_s
Thanks you guys... $20 it is....

Well here's a strat I would take - go to him and be like, give me a good honest figure you are willing to spend. if he gives you more than $20, be like that's more than reasonable and I will accept. If not, tell him you were aiming for a minimal of $20. That way, you are in power and have the confidence to negotiate with owner. This really only works in person and shows more intrest on your part. Just my opinions though.. maybe someone who has done more web development has something to say, but don't undercut yourself on your figure, go with what you think your work is worth.
Thats good advice... I was always had a hard time deciding how much my work is worth. But going about it that way certainly puts it in a state where I'm not asking too much, nor asking too little.

Thanks again!
When designing for other people, I tend to charge per job or per page, rather than per hour. $20 sounds fairly cheap to me, I knew a guy that charged UK £50 (almost US$100) for ASP/APSX work and people would pay him for it. That said, I really think it's client-specific.
The main reason that its $25 (it has changed, a bit higher) is because I usually don't do ASP programming. I'm a PHP and Java guy myself. So I don't have anything good to show him in the firstplace...

When I do webpage development I do charge by project... but the one for Oregon.com is likely to take most of the summer for a team of developers. Were doing a complete site redesign... lots of hours :)
I usually charge $30 - $40/hr for basic html, css, &#106avascript and $50 for dynamic content (ASP.NET/C#, database). You really need to have some idea of what the budget is of the client. I've done sites for free for friends because they had no money and then took a share of any profits (if it was ecommerce based). Large firms definitely are charging large fees to their clients so don't be afraid to charge around $30-$40/hr. Just make sure you work is complete and on time!

Don't cut yourself too short. I usually work for a marketing firm that charges their clients $80-$100/hr so for $40/hr to hire me to do all the work is cake for them. If a client is complaining about $25/hr tell them they are free to look around but trust me, they won't find much cheaper than that. Plus as developers we need to stick together and keep these fees high. This way we all make some money. The first one who undercuts everybody is going to make it harder for those who charge the higher fees. Its simple Economics. Another reason to keep it reasonable is clients will oursource to India or China...and we don't want that, do we!

Ramotek Media

[Edited by - dnagcat on March 17, 2005 3:51:32 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement