3d sprites

Started by
7 comments, last by Battagline 19 years, 1 month ago
in directx8 3d how do you use sprites. how do you create a 3d sprite that can move like a tiled2d sprite in 2D? (with c++)
Advertisement
ID3DXSprite will be what u need
is there an example of how to use this?
There are lots of examples. Here's my old list of 2D in Direct3D articles (some links may no longer work, but the ones pointing to GameDev should). Also check out the Articles section of Gamedev for more (like in DirectX or Isometric sections maybe). Some of them are already in my list.

EDIT: Also, there's one here specifically for ID3DXSprite, based on the MS samples.

[Edited by - reana1 on March 10, 2005 8:13:40 AM]
Tadd- WarbleWare
I want to be able to create a 3d sprite, how do I do this.
The examples seem to show how to use 1 rather than than show how to create a 3d sprite from scratch....correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:Original post by jagguy
I want to be able to create a 3d sprite, how do I do this.
The examples seem to show how to use 1 rather than than show how to create a 3d sprite from scratch....correct me if I am wrong.

Are you asking how to create a billboard? If so, there is an example in the DirectX 9 SDK.

I just want to create a simple 3d sprite and load it in a directX8 3D program to manipulate it.

eg how do I create a airplane or car to be used in a 3d program.
Do I need special software to create this, or is this a mesh file I can create with software, or is this a tiled sprite of different angles of the 3d sprite

[Edited by - jagguy on March 12, 2005 3:09:48 AM]
Correct, those examples are all showing how to use sprites in DirectX.
For creating the art, look at the top of the Visual Arts forum for three stickied threads. They should have plenty of info on tools (and some tutorials too). You can ask in that forum for questions about creating art stuff, etc.

Usually, sprites refer to 2D images that can be used in 3D or 2D programs. So saying 3D sprites is confusing. That could mean you are wanting 2D sprites in a 3D program or that you are wanting info about 3D objects or models.

EDIT: Also, here's a recent thread aobut getting started with 3D modeling if that's what you are wanting to do: click
Tadd- WarbleWare
Quote:Original post by jagguy
I just want to create a simple 3d sprite and load it in a directX8 3D program to manipulate it.

As Reana mentioned, a sprite is a 2D image that can be placed on a screen. If you want to place a sprite or 2D picture in 3D space in a game you need to use either a billboard, or point sprites. A billboard is just flat square in 3D space that is always facing the camera and textured with your "sprite". I think this will do what you are looking for. Point sprites will do the same thing, but only use one vertex instead of 4 (actually 6 because your square with four points will be broken into two triangles). The only problem with point sprites is that a lot of video cards seem to have problems rendering them consistantly. I'm sorry if this is not what your asking for, but once again I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "3D Sprite".

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement