Sign in to follow this  

how do i stop rough edges on 3d model during render

This topic is 4659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have a .x model loaded into direct X, when moving around the world from a distance the polygons in the distance loose their shape, then when you move close up to them they return to what they actually are. Is there a way i can stop these jagged edges appearing? View From a distance http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/bigbrother_200uk/jagged.jpg View close up http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/bigbrother_200uk/normal.jpg

Try moving your near plane farther when creating the projection matrix. The artifacts seem a lot like what z-buffer inaccuracy would cause.

Also, how big is the environment exactly? The problems might also be due floating-point inaccuracies.

Quote:
Original post by bigbrother2000
i've changed the near clipping plane from 1.0 to 15.0 and its worked a treat, do you know why this was causing the problem?

The accuracy of your depth buffer is based on the ratio between your near and far clipping plane distances. If you near clip is at 1.0, and your far clip is at 100.0 you get 1/100 = 0.01 accuracy ratio ... if you move your front buffer forwards to say 15.0 you get 15/100 = .15 which is much higher and hence more accurate. So you should make the gap between the near and far clip panes as small as possible for best results.

thanks kaysik and Nik02 for your help. One other thing, many games out now have an antialaising feature, is this like an inbuilt function in directx to smooth out the rendered scene or is it complex algorithms they have created themselves.

Anti-Aliasing is a built in video card feature. It can also be emulated on cars without the feature.

To enable it, you need to set the MultiSampleType property of the device's present parameters when you create the device, like so:

D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS d3dpp;
d3dpp.MultiSampleType = D3DMULTISAMPLE_2_SAMPLES;

thanks sirob but that cause my application not to load, it compiled ok just wouldn't run. Its using directX 8 if that makes a difference. I looked at the online documentation and had this but cannot see any effect when it renders:

BOOL cGraphics::AntiAliasing(BOOL Enable)
{
if(m_pD3DDevice == NULL)
return FALSE;

if(FAILED(m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SHADEMODE, Enable)))
return FALSE;

// Set anitaliasing type
if(Enable == TRUE) {
m_pD3DDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SHADEMODE , D3DSHADE_GOURAUD );

}

return TRUE;
}

Shade mode has absolutely nothing to do with antialiasing; it defines how the rasterizer interpolates between vertex data, "flat" being no interpolation (use first vertex's values across entire tri), and "gouraud" being linear interpolation.

To enable antialiasing, you should set a couple of members of your presentation parameters structure to reflect your needs, as Sirob said. The swap effect is required to be "discard" for the antialiasing to work. With render state "antialias enable", you can set the application of the technique on and off as you need, without reseting the device.

This topic is 4659 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.