C++ am i going the right way?

Started by
16 comments, last by QuintKillsSharks 19 years, 1 month ago
Im new to all this and i want to learn C++ so first i D/L the Compiler BloodShed Dev-C++ 5 beta 9,and i went to http://www.cprogramming.com/ and im currently learning all thats in there Learning to Program in C++ tutorials section. Is that a good way to start?Are there better free compilers?What are good comercial compilers? I hope in time(not today,tomorow,month,maybe years) to make my 3d engine! Thats why im asking if im starting good. Thanx all!
Advertisement
I see no problem with starting this way. If you can though, pick up a book on C++. I suggest this one.

Good luck!
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Oh thanx Stompy,but sadly im really out of money :( ill have to wait till my bro give me back my $1400! Hopefully that might take less than a month :)

Hey what are the main diferenceses between a free compiler and a comercial compiler!
I would suggest the Thinking in C++ vol 1.
it's a really good book, and it's FREE!
just google for it, it's probably the best C++ book out there.
How appropriate, you fight like a cow!
You can learn C++ without books just fine. I did. The language is not that complex. What you mostly need is experience, and to be aware of the standard "tricks" you can use when implementing your programs.

Looking for a serious game project?
www.xgameproject.com
Quote:Original post by Dark_Coder
Oh thanx Stompy,but sadly im really out of money :( ill have to wait till my bro give me back my $1400! Hopefully that might take less than a month :)

Hey what are the main diferenceses between a free compiler and a comercial compiler!

Dev-C++ is a great compiler. There are not many differences between free and commercial compilers either.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
You seem to be on the right path. At least you don't want to make Doom 4 or an MMORPG. Programming (with any language) can be tough at first, don't be discouraged and be sure to set realistic goals.

When you get to graphics try all the APIs out and use the one that you think is best, but that probably won't be for a couple months.

Also I don't own a single programming book. While they might be a good reference to have on-hand I think online tutorials should suffice for learning the language.

Quote:Original post by Dark_Coder
Hey what are the main differences between a free compiler and a commercial compiler!

Dev-C++ is actually an IDE, it just comes with GCC which can be replaced. I think you can download one of the .net compilers from Microsoft and use it with Dev-C++. Haven't really tried it so I'm not sure.

A commercial IDE defiantly has a more professional feel to it. GCC should have no problem compiling well written tutorials though so if you don't have the money don't worry about it.
You can learn from free tutorials and books on the internet but there is a serious quality gap between the free stuff and the good books.

I've picked up quite a few C++ books (from amazon) which have improved my programming greatly and I can't find any free information which is close to this good. Drop in to #C++ on undernet and ask for recommendations as these guys know what's good and what's bad!
WoW thank alot guys!

Ill google that book Ilankt!

Hey just wondering:

The Beggining C++ Game Programming Book that i got suggested will help me on Game Programming and Neutral/All kinds of Programming too?

Thanx for all your suggestions!
Quote:
The Beggining C++ Game Programming Book that i got suggested will help me on Game Programming and Neutral/All kinds of Programming too?

Although I don't know the book, presumably (since it's an introduction) it will contain a fair degree of information on general C++. However, it's probably not as complete as a generalist C++ book. This is why Thinking in C++, as recommended above (or one of several other recommendations - have a look in the books section of the forum, and in particular the C++ section) is worth a look at.

On a general note - to program games well using C++, you also need to know C++ pretty darned well. It's probably better to approach it as 'I have good general programming skills, therefore I can program games', as opposed to 'I can program games, therefore I have good general programming skills' - hmm, hope that came out as I intended!

Jim.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement